From Suburban Family Magazine: WEEKEND+ for Thursday 10/20 to Wednesday 10/26.
THIS WEEK: Fall GO! Guide ~ Fall Fests ~ On Stage ~ Halloween Happenings ~ Fitness Events ~ Halloween Happenings ~ Chicagoland Events ~ Plus, links to Golf Links & Tips, Fitness Race Events, Education Central, and Dining.
GO TO: Suburban Family’s “Fall GO Guide.” Get it and…GO!
Fall GO! Guide
We’ve got great family activities running throughout the Fall season…
(Updated for the expanded weekend 10/20 to 10/26)
Sonny Acres Farm
Sonny Acres’s “Haunted Experience” and “Fall Festival” thru October 30th. You “best be-leaf” we’re open for Fall activities! Sonny Acres iconic family-friendly festival runs for a limited time through October 30th. FALL in love with our non-stop family fun fit for all ages. Pick the perfect pumpkin, enjoy a variety of amusements and attractions including everything from our Wacky Worm Roller Coaster to a ride around the farm on the Sonny Express Train, take fun to new heights on our giant jumping pillow, get baaack to nature and feed the farm animals, enjoy great food at our outdoor grill and much more! MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR CHICAGO’S BEST HAUNTED EXPERIENCE – HAUNTED BARN AND HAUNTED WAGON RIDE IS OPEN NOW! Located at 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL.
Naper Settlement ~ Howlin’ at the Moon
Fall is the perfect time to visit Naper Settlement with a variety of special events for visitors of all ages includes Howlin’ at the Moon (21+ event, October 21-22), and Trick or Treat at Naper Settlement (October 30), and more! For more information, visit www.NaperSettlement.org/Events.
Westmont Park District’s Fall Fun ~ Haunted Forest
Look no further than the Westmont Park District for bales of fall fun! For the brave ones, walk and ride through our Haunted Forest on Oct. 22. Little ghouls and goblins can attend our annual Spooktacular Fun Night for trick-or-treating, games, and more on Oct. 31. For more info call 630-963-5252 or visit www.westmontparks.org .
Fall Fun for Everyone in Downtown Aurora!
Aurora Downtown welcomes you this fall with free events for everyone to enjoy. Join us at First Fridays, a night of art, music, and more throughout downtown Aurora. Visit Sugar Skull City goes to November 6 and enjoy Day of the Dead activities. Trick or Treat at downtown businesses from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 29. Enjoy family-friendly events all year-round in downtown Aurora. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org .
LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago
Stepping into LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago is like you’ve just jumped into the biggest box of LEGO bricks ever! With over 3 million LEGO bricks under one roof and 2 stories of EPIC LEGO play, what will you discover? To see what else we have to offer, check out www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/chicago/ ! Be sure to buy tickets online to guarantee your entry. Located at 601 N. Martingale Road, STE 130 Schaumburg, IL 60173.
LEGO® Brick-or-Treat Monster Party – 10/23 – 10/31. It’s non-stop fun, with spooky decorations, amazing LEGO® activities, and a screening of the EXCLUSIVE NEW LEGO® 4D Halloween movie. Schaumburg. legolanddiscoverycenter.com
TOM’s Farm Market
TOM’s Farm Market is a fun day for everyone! During October, you can pick your own pumpkins from our fields and take a walk through our 6-acre corn maze. Spend some time enjoying our petting zoo, bouncy pillow, pedal tractors and other activities. Our market is open every day with homemade soups, desserts & everyone’s favorite…Apple Cider donuts! We are open from March thru December, but October has all the extras, so visit www.TomsFarmMarket.com to learn more.
Siegel’s Cottonwood Pumpkin Farm.
A day of “affordable fun on the farm.” Come “Harvest Family Memories” has begun – Halloween. Admission includes 40+ UNLIMITED attractions for all ages to enjoy with plenty of meals and treats to eat. Wagon rides, farm animals, giant slide, trains, corn mazes, ziplines, play area and so much more. Grandparents FREE Monday – Friday with paid grandchild. 17250 Weber Rd. Lockport. 800-304-FARM. Check out events and more at www.ourpumpkinfarm.com. $5 off admission. Online Only. Code: SubFamily2022
Pumpkin Weekends at Blackberry Farm
Enjoy family-friendly fall festivities at Blackberry Farm! Weekends in October from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission includes all rides and attractions ,pumpkins can be purchased for an additional cost. Check the Blackberry Farm website or Facebook page for a detailed schedule of events. All ticket sales are final. 100 S. Barnes Road, Aurora. www.blackberryfarm.info.
Odyssey Fun Farm
Odyssey Fun World in Tinley Park presents Odyssey Fun Farm, just down the street! Amazing attractions include the Corn Maize, Containment ‘Z’ Shooting Gallery, corn cannons, petting zoo, hayrides, rope maze and so much more. Fun for the whole family! The Farm will be open for FUN from 10am – 6pm, now thru Oct. 30! www.odysseyfunfarm.com Located at 18900 S. Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park. 708-429-3800.
Downers Grove Park District Autumn Events
Children ages 3- 9 are welcomed to kick off Halloween by learning some dance moves at the Monster Mash Dance Party on Oct. 29. Trick-or-Treat at the Downers Grove Museum on Oct. 31. For more information, visit www.dgparks.org.
Hayride of Horror and the Curse of the Bayou
The Lockport Township Park District presents the Hayride of Horror and Curse of the Bayou every Fri. and Sat. running thru Oct. 29 from 7pm-10pm (last ticket sold at 10pm) at Dellwood Park, 199 E. Woods Dr. in Lockport. Tickets can be purchased at www.lockportpark.org and fees are as follows: one attraction: $15 per person; $25 both attractions: $35 speed pass to both attractions. Group discounts and private rentals are available. Both events are sponsored by CITGO. Lockport. For more info., visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-1183.
Richardson Adventure Farm|
Richardson Farm in Spring Grove, IL is the place to go for A-MAZE-ING Farm Fun! This year, the farm is celebrating 60 years of Bond… James Bond. Wander through the 28-acre corn maze locating each checkpoint just the way Bond would do. After you have completed your mission, take a ride on Richardson Railroad, a spin around the Carousel, race your family or friends down a slide or around the Pedal Cart track, and cheer for the victor at our Pig Races. Pumpkins galore, a Picnic Area with Campfires, a 700’ Zip Line — The farm offers a variety of activities and experiences for all ages!
This year, admission also allows September guests to stroll through our Fields of gorgeous Sunflowers. After a long day of adventure, there is nothing better than grabbing a fresh donut or bag of farm popped kettle corn. Open Thursdays through Sundays thru Oct. 31st, plus Columbus Day. Come visit the farm for an unforgettable experience! Visit www.RichardsonFarm.com for more information.
Experience 1 Day in LEMONT in 4 Different Ways
Time Out Magazine voted Lemont one of the best day trips from Chicago. We’d love to have you stay awhile, but if you only have a day, we’ve put together four itineraries for friends, families, and adventurers alike. These itineraries allow you to design your trip based on your interests–with recommendations for the best places to explore, shop, and dine. Visit www.lemontdowntown.com/1day-4ways to plan your trip!
Ottawa, IL – Pick Us!
Nestled along the Illinois and Fox River, lies the best kept secret of the Midwest. Lush plantings and butterfly gardens line the streets filled with boutique shops and modern eateries. Stand in the shadows of Honest Abe and the Little Giant then learn the fine art of blown glass and craft brewing. Renowned architecture, massive murals, live music and theater bring culture to life in this historic canal town. Join us throughout the year! Ottawa Visitors Center – 1028 LaSalle St – Ottawa, IL. www.pickusottawail.com 815.434.2737
Pick your own memories at Apple Holler orchard, family farm and wedding venue while enjoying 78 acres of fresh air & wide-open spaces! Enjoy great comfort food touched by the magic of apples at the Red Barn Restaurant and Bakery Café. Four seasons of family fun for visitors to enjoy all year long! Apple Holler is the ideal rustic wedding venue located between Chicago and Milwaukee, WI, right off of I-94 at Exit 337, simply follow the signs to the FUN! (5006 S. Sylvania Ave. Sturtevant, WI 53177) Call (262) 884-7100 or visit www.appleholler.com for further information.
Arlington Heights: Your Fall Destination for Shopping, Dining, and Entertainment!
The Village of Arlington Heights is your home for Chicagoland’s best shopping, dining, and entertainment! Discover our one-of-a-kind Downtown ambiance with some of the most unique boutique stores in the Chicago suburbs. Live music, theater, and comedy are all showcased at the intimate Metropolis Performing Arts Centre. For more great experiences, visit www.DiscoverArlington.com.
For over 62 years, the world-famous Volo Museum’s 45 exhibits and 10,000 mechanical marvels guarantee to have something rare and amazing for everyone. Spend the day with hundreds of rotating classic cars, modern muscle cars and Hollywood vehicles, Jurassic Gardens indoor dinosaur experience, a hand-carved 1928 carousel hall, ice cream parlor, military museum, Disney display and massive Antique mall. Open daily 10a to 5p. Visit www.volofun.com for more information. 27582 Volo Village Road, Volo, IL.
Keller’s Farmstand is a local day trip that everyone will enjoy! Come any day for apple picking at one of Chicago’s largest orchards or pick a pumpkin in our HUGE pumpkin patch. On weekends, explore our eight-acre corn maze, bring the kids to our Farmland playground, enjoy storytelling with a mime artist, and see the horses and animals. Our Farmstand is open daily with unique foods and homemade donuts on weekends! It’s safe outdoor fun for the whole family! Open thru October 30. Tickets at www.KellersFall.com.
Celebrate Fall in Naperville
Indulge with your favorite dish this fall at one of our 300 restaurants throughout Naperville! There’s nothing better than fall in Naperville, so why not make it better by swinging by one of our restaurants? You can always find a place that will appeal to your taste buds. Find more restaurants and information at www.DineNaperville.com.
Monster Mash in Bensenville
Get in the Halloween spirit at the Bensenville Park District’s Monster Mash! Take a trip through the Halloween-themed activity walk through the Deer Grove Leisure Center and into the gym where kids of all ages will enjoy FREE family activities, including carnival games, live animals, inflatable bounce houses and much more! 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, October 29. Deer Grove Leisure Center. 1000 W. Wood St., Bensenville. www.BvilleParks.org
Fall in love with Kenosha, WI during the autumn season. Enjoy the crisp air at as you hike through county parks, take a swing at one of our many golf courses, or roll along a lakefront bike path. Savor the tastes and style of boutique shops, spend an evening at the theatre or comedy club, and ride a pedal tavern or electric streetcar for a tour of the downtown area. Plan your getaway at www.VisitKenosha.com.
DuPage Event Center and Fairgrounds
The DuPage Event Center and Fairgrounds is “The Place Where Community Gathers”. For the past 68 years a wide variety of events have called us home. From Train Shows, Toy Shows, Civil War Show, Craft Shows, Quilt Shows and many more. We also support many area non-profit events that have a positive impact on our community. We continue to look for new activities to bring to the grounds, and welcome you to join us. Find upcoming events at www.dupagecountyfair.org.
Kuipers Family Farm
Visit the orchard for apple picking (Saturday, Sunday & holidays). Check website for weekday picking) and fresh apple cider doughnuts, home-baked pies, fudge, farm-pressed apple cider and hand-spun caramel apples from The Orchard Shop and Bakery. Sample our hard ciders & fruit wines at The Bin Tasting Bar! Take a scenic ride around the farm on The Farmview Railroad! Over 30 farm-themed activities open at the Pumpkin Farm. FREE PUMPKIN with a paid admission in October! Exclusions apply. Save $ and buy tickets online. www.YouPickFun.com for more information.
Curtis Orchard in Champaign offers fun for everyone through December 23. Activities include apple and pumpkin picking, kids and toddler play areas, farm kittens, goats, and mazes. September and October weekends bring rack wagon rides, pony rides, horse-drawn carriage rides, inflatables and air cannons. Eat lunch in our café, visit our bakery and then shop our beautiful country store. You’ll find local gifts, specialty foods, cider and preserves to take home. www. curtisorchard.com.
Create fall memories at Abbey Farms’ Pumpkin Daze! Abbey Farms offers safe fun for all ages on a huge farm with outdoor attractions that let you disconnect from the digital world. Explore Kane County’s largest corn maze, our weekend petting zoo, the Emporium Cafe, or our half-mile hayride. Enjoy the weekend craft beer & wine tent with live music, and take home some pumpkins or donuts! Located at 2855 Hart Rd., Aurora, IL. Visit www.abbeyfarms.org for more!
Primrose Farm Frolic
Experience farm life! Explore restored farm buildings, visit with farm animals, stroll through 100+ acres of historic and modern rural landscapes and climb up on a vintage tractor near the fruit orchard. Exciting and educational activities await you in the farmyard! Drop-in programs offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, featuring hand-milking a Jersey cow, gathering eggs from the chicken coop, grooming a draft horse or feeding the animals. Sign up at www.primrosefarm.org/animal-adventures/.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
Kidzmax is Chicago’s newest one-stop shop for quality, recycled products your kids and teens will love to wear year-round. At kidzmax.com, you’ll find an amazing selection of clothing, outerwear, footwear, equipment, and much more, at up to 80% of retail prices. Original tags are on over 80% of the products, and the prices can’t be beat. Go to www.kidzmax.com today, and see why Chicago moms have given kidzmax.com a 4.9-star Google rating.
WhirlyBall – Naperville
Whether you’re celebrating a loved-ones birthday, a team-building event, or a holiday party, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! In addition to WhirlyBall, there’s a multi-level LaserTag arena, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane VIP private bowling suite, and HyperBowling. Offering a relaxed yet elevated dining experience featuring fresh takes on classic American fare, an expansive collection of 24 rotating craft beer selections, and refreshing signature cocktails. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800, WhirlyBall.com/Naperville
Fleetwood Roller Rink – Summit
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com
Save the date…
Midwest SOARRING Foundation
26th Annual Harvest Pow Wow
All welcome! Nov. 12 and 13, 2022. Come experience Native American culture at its finest. Listen to the sound of our drum and watch our Native dancers dressed in beautiful regalia. Our Pow Wow offers unique Native themed vendors with something for everyone. Come listen to Native flute playing, story- telling, try flint-knapping and other family friendly activities. DuPage County Fairgrounds, Wheaton. Purchase discounted tickets at www.harvestpowwow.com/tickets.html.
Go to Fall GO! Guide in E-MAG
(For this week…10/20 to 10/26)
- Pumpkin Swim – 10/21. Pumpkin hunt at the Family Aquatic Center, Oak Brook. Search for candy and prizes in the pool, with free swim after until 8:45PM. obparks.org
- Gourds on Parade – Carve your pumpkin and drop off to the Pottawatomie Community Center by 10/21 for guests to view on a walk along the path. St. Charles. Stcparks.org
- Trail of Terror – 10/22. Wander the Haunted course trails among live ghouls and goblins. May not be suitable for young children. St. Charles. Stparks.org
- Boonanza – 10/21. 4-7PM. Children 10 and under, pumpkin decorating, crafts, carnival games, and balloonist. wheelingparkdistrict.com
- Howlin’ at the Moon – 10/21-22 5-10PM. 21yrs and older only – local bands, food trucks, fire dancers and curiosities. Naper Settlement, Naperville. napersettlement.org
- Bolingbrook Fall Festival – 10/22-23. Crafters, makers, bakery goods, and other fall and Halloween related items. Bolingbrook. Shoppingpromenade.com
- Sycamore Pumpkin Festival – 10/26-30. Decorated pumpkins, carnivals crafs, and parade. sycamorepumpkinfestival.com
On Stage Preview…
(For this week…10/20 to 10/26)
Drury Lane, The Ultimate Entertainment Destination.
- Agatha Christie “Murder on the Orient Express … Thru Oct 23
The James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts
- Lisa Rock in Close to You: The Music of Karen Carpenter … Oct 23
- The Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass … Nov 12
- Ruth Page Civic Ballet’s, The Nutcracker … Dec 17
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
- Miracle on 34th Street … Nov 25 – Dec 17
- Alfred Hitchcock’s “The 39 Steps” … Mar 10 – Apr 1
- Singin’ in the Rain … July 7 – July 29
Located at 900 Foster Avenue in Medinah. Individual tickets are now available for Tuesday Morning. You can purchase tickets for all shows by becoming a season subscriber. To order tickets, please call the box office at 630-634-2100 or go to www.overshadowed.org.
Center for Performing Arts at Governors State University
- The Nutcracker … November 19
- Air Play … April 22, 2023
Wheaton Drama, Inc
- A Christmas Carol “The Musical” … Nov 25 – Dec 18
- Holmes and Watson … Jan 20 – Feb 12, 2023
- Shadowlands … Mar 17 to Apr 2, 2023
- A Gentlemen’s Guide to “Love and Murder” … May 19 – June 11, 2023
Go to Fall GO! Guide in E-MAG
(For this week…10/20 to 10/26)
- Haunted Forest Walk – 10/21-22. Wind your way through a haunted forest trail full of scary scenes, wicked creatures and evil spirits. Afternoon matinee suitable for children under 9. Fri: 6:30-9:30PM, Sat: 1-3PM and 6:30-9:30PM. Hawthorne Woods. Woodridge. woodridgeparks.org
- Haunted Hayrides – 10/21-22. Spooky, fun-filled hayrides on the trail at Eaton Preserve. Plainfield. Plfdparks.org
- Trick-or-Treat Tango – 10/21. 7-8:30PM. Dancing, crafts, games, candy and prizes! $10 Registration required. foxvalleyparkdistrict.org
- Howlin’ at the Moon – 10/21-22. 21+ event. Come dressed in costume and enjoy performances, live music, local cuisine and beverages. Naper Settlement, Naperville. Napersettlement.org/event
- Haunted Forest – 10/22. – Little Monsters, 3-6:30PM; Sheer Terror, 6:30-9:30PM. Sandra Smith Wood, Westmont. westmontparks.org
- Spooky Zoo – 10/22. Trick-or-Treating on zoo grounds. 10AM-While supplies last or 1PM. Lincoln Park Zoo. Lpzoo.org
- Halloween Hayday – 10/22. 10AM-1PM. Stephen Persinger Rec. Center. Halloween egg hunt, costume contest, bounce house, hayrides, science activities. Registration recommended. Geneva. genevaparks.org
- Howl O’Ween Dog Parade – 10/22. Bring your dogs and dress-to-impress at Peck Farm Park’s FREE Howl O’ Ween Dog Parade! Geneva. genevaparks.org
- LEGO® Brick-or-Treat Monster Party – 10/23 – 10/31. It’s non-stop fun, with spooky decorations, amazing LEGO® activities, and a screening of the EXCLUSIVE NEW LEGO® 4D Halloween movie. Schaumburg. legolanddiscoverycenter.com
(For this week…10/20 to 10/26)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 22
- Saw Wee Kee Spring Trail Run. Yorkville. runoswegoland.org
- Walk for Autism Speaks. Soldier Field. act.autismspeaks.org
- Komen Race for the Cure 5K. Chicago. komen.org
- Spooky Sprint. Plainfield. Plfdparks.org
- Forte 5K. Channahon. Forte5k.com
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23
- The Universal Sole Trail Challenge. Palos. universalsole.com
- Red Eye 5K Run. Joliet. jpdrun3.com
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 30
Moraine Valley Community College Health, Fitness & Recreation Center Halloween 5K Run/Walk at 9 AM, Kid’s Dash Race at 10:15 AM. USATF-IL certified. Family activities included! 9000 W. College Parkway, Palos Hills. www.morainevalley.edu/fitrec.
Go to Fitness Events in E-Mag
(For this week…10/20 to 10/26)
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21
- EXHIBIT Alebrijes: Creatures of a Dream World – A five-month outdoor exhibit featuring dozens of mythical animals inspired by Mexican folklore. Open through Oct. 30. Wheaton. Cantigny.org
- EXHIBIT Resilience – 9/16 thru Late December. Exhibition of 20 works of photographic art. National Hellenic Museum. Chicago. nationalhellenicmuseum.org
- SHOPPING Recycled Art Sale at The Art Center – Donations collected throughout the year are for sale in the style of a Parisian Flea Market 10/14-22 1957 Sheridan Road, Highland Park. Theartcenterhp.org
- KIDS Kohl’s Children’s Museum Mobile Learning – Travelling lab van to reach children in Lake County targeting locations where children are more at-risk due to lack of resources. Kcmgc.org
- OUTDOORS Plant Giveaway – Stop by the Regenstein Fruit & Vegetable Garden to pot up a featured plant seedling or seed to grow at home. 11AM–3PM. Chicago Botanic, Glencoe. Chicagobotanic.org
- FAMILY Ice Age Giants – Daily. Amazing life-like animatronics located throughout the park. Brookfield Zoo. Schedule visit at czs.org
- EXHIBIT Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art – Museum is closed on Mondays and holidays. Explore the eternal beauty of Fossils, Mosaics, Gemstones and more. Oak Brook. lizzadromuseum.org
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 22
- OUTDOORS Birds of Prey – Rockford Park District is open to the public Saturdays, 10AM-2PM for self-guided tours and the Birds of Prey live exhibit is open Saturdays at 1PM. Seth B. Atwood Park. Atwoodpark.org
Go to Chicagoland Events in E-MAG
We think you’ll like these articles, too…
- Golf Links & Tips
- Fitness Race Events
- Education Central
- Dine Out
- ANNUAL Senior Focus + Resources
- ANNUAL 2022 Fitness Race Guide
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS