WEEKEND+ for Thursday 1/13 to Wednesday 1/19
Winter Boredom Busters | On Stage | Special Section: Mental Health Awareness | Chicagoland Events | Fitness Journey Tips + Race Events | Why Consider Private School? | Dining Out
GO TO Suburban Family’s “WINTER FUN!” issue.
Winter Boredom Busters…
(Updated for this week…1/13 to 1/19)
Learn to ski/snowboard or bring the family and friends for snow tubing. With six ski runs and a double wide tube hill Villa Olivia offers winter fun in your own backyard. We can even make our own snow! Book your winter fun online now at villaolivia.com. The season runs through March 6th (weather permitting). Villa Olivia is located at 1401 W. Lake Street in Bartlett. For hours of operation and weather-related information visit www.villaolivia.com or call 630-540-4199.
Enjoy a nine-day celebration of food and flavors in the Kenosha Area during Kenosha Restaurant Week! Join us February 19 – 27, 2022 to explore new places, re-visit old favorites, and show support to locally owned establishments. There will be great deals, as well as a variety of special offerings – so come hungry! Make it an overnight so you can enjoy shopping and attractions in the area, too. Learn more at www.VisitKenosha.com/RW or by calling 262-654-7307.
Naperville’s 9th Annual Restaurant Week is here!
From January 15th through February 6th, Restaurant Week is all about celebrating the culinary community of Naperville. Participating restaurants provide discounts or prix fixe menus. Indulge in a familiar favorite or try something you’ve never had before! Curious about Naperville restaurants? Our dining guide features one-of-a-kind eateries like Quigley’s, Sharko’s BBQ, and Meson Sabika, as well as classic favorites like Maggiano’s Little Italy, Catch 35, and Aurelio’s Pizza. Find every meal, from breakfast to lunch to dinner to a late-night snack in Naperville. Go to www.DineNaperville.com to find more information on our 300 restaurants!
Sonny Acres Farm – West Chicago
Sonny Acres Farm offers endless possibilities when it comes to planning your next event, boasting 22 acres of space, perfect for a variety of special occasions. From breathtaking weddings set in one of our many beautiful backdrops to large scale corporate events, family reunions, kids birthday parties and more, the customization options are both fun and flexible to perfectly pair with any occasion. For extra “wow factor” at your next event, treat your guests to some of our seasonal offerings including access to amusement rides, petting zoo, hayrides around the property and much more. For a consultation on how to make your next event the best one yet, visit www.sonnyacres.com. 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL 60185. (630) 231-3859
Whether you’re planning your next family fun day, work outing, or holiday party, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! In addition to WhirlyBall, there’s a multi-level lasertag arena, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane VIP private bowling suite, and HyperBowling. Offering a relaxed yet elevated dining experience featuring fresh takes on classic American fare, an expansive collection of 24 rotating craft beer selections, and refreshing signature cocktails. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800, www.whirlyball.com/naperville
Fleetwood Roller Rink – Summit
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com
The Princess Diana Exhibition
Anticipated to be one of the hottest tickets this season, The Princess Diana Exhibition: Accredited Access, has made its Chicago debut and is open to the public at 19 Oakbrook Center. This exhibit is the first-ever walk-through documentary, telling the untold story of how a princess changed the world. For the first time, world famous Royal Photographers, Anwar Hussein and his two sons Zak and Samir, will share collections of their original images and the intimate, never-before-told stories behind them. The Husseins collectively spent four decades working side by side with the iconic Princess and her family and will reveal what they witnessed first-hand, both in public and private moments. Tickets are on sale now, and can purchased at www.feverup.com/m/104604
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
Need a change of scenery? Visit Creek Bend Nature Center for fun, interactive exhibits. There’s plenty to see and do – both inside and out! Learn all about oaks. See what the Fox River could look like below the surface. View bison specimens in our prairie wild exhibit. Enjoy scavenger hunts, hikes and scheduled nature programs. At Creek Bend Nature Center, there are things to explore galore! Admission is always free. We’re open: Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday – Sunday: Noon – 4 p.m. LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve, 37W700 Dean St., St. Charles. www.kaneforest.com 630-444-3190
Downers Grove Ice Festival
Get out of the house for a weekend of fun, shopping and dining for all ages! The Annual Downtown Downers Grove Ice Festival returns February 4-6, 2022. Watch carvers demonstrate their art in person Friday evening under the lights at 5:30pm on the southeast corner of Main and Curtiss and on Saturday with live ice carving demonstrations on Saturday from 11am-3pm. The carvings will remain out as long as whether permits! Details at www.downtowndg.org or 630-725-0991.
Great Lakes Volleyball Center
Looking for a summer volleyball camp for your son or daughter, well look no further? The Great Lakes Volleyball Center located at 579 N. Oakhurst Drive, Aurora, IL. 60502 offers summer volleyball camps for girls and boys of various ages and skill levels. GLC offers camps for the beginner as well as the advanced/elite level player. For more info, call 630-898-6400 or visit www.greatlakescenter.com FB: Sports Performance Volleyball
Rock ‘N’ Kids
In-person and virtual music, movement and imagination classes available for 1-6 years at park districts in Chicagoland! Tot Rock, Kid Rock and Rockin’ at Home programs are Interactive and educational, with each class including songs and rhymes, basic dance steps and movements, fine and gross motor skills, rhythm instruments and movement props, imaginative play, socialization and fun! Sing, dance, and play the Rock ‘n’ Kids way! We have been having fun with music for 27 years! Get more information at www.rockitkids.com.
(Updated for this week…1/13 to 1/19)
(Updated for this week…1/3 to 1/19)
- “A Year With Frog and Toad” – 1/21 to 2/5 (Ask about our school day performance on Jan. 28!)
- “The Boomer Babes” Still Rockin’! – 1/23
- The Second City Remix – 1/29
- Koresh Dance Company presents “La Danse” – 2/6
- “Dinosaur World LIVE” – 2/1
- “Scooby-Doo! And the Lost City of Gold” – 3/27
- “Beyond the Eats” Alton Brown: Live! – 4/2
- “All Shook Up” – 1/28 to 2/6
SPECIAL SECTION: Mental Health Awareness
- Struggling With Mental Health Issues
- 7 TIPS On How Family Members Can Discuss Their Mental Health Issues With Others
- 7 REASONS Why Getting Help For Your Fears And Anxieties Is So Important
- Is Social Media Toxic to Mental Health?
- Understanding Anxiety and Depression in Children—and How You Can Help
- Is My Child Struggling? The ABCs (and DEFs) to Watch For
- Mental Health Wellness Resource
(Updated for this week…1/13 to 1/19)
THURSDAY, JANUARY 13
- ADULT Home Organizing Top to Bottom – Join professional home organizer Caralyn Kempner as she provided guidance and best practices on home storage solutions. Hinsdale, Helen Plum Library Auditorium. 7-8PM. Register. Helenplum.org.
- FRIDAY, JANUARY 14
- KIDS Pokémon Club – Meet to play and talk Pokémon with other trainers. Bring cards or play with the library’s. Trainers are welcome to bring DS, Switch, and devices for Pokémon Go as well. Ages 6+. 4-5PM. Naper Blvd. Library, Naperville. Naperville-lib.org.
- KIDS Super Hero Night –Put your superhero powers to the test with an obstacle course, dine on pizza, and write a letter to your favorite superhero. 6:30 – 8:30PM. Community Recreation Center, Wheeling. Register. wheelingparkdistrict.com.
- OUTDOOR Guided Nature Walk – 18+. These casual walks will highlight seasonal natural happenings and are held snow, rain or shine. Hidden Lake Forest Preserve, Glen Ellyn. 9-10:30AM. Gepark.org.
- TEEN Teen Snowball Fight and Sledding – Meet us out back on the patio for winter fun! Sledding will be at Spella Park Hill, dress for the weather. 2:30-3:30PM. Algonquin Public Library. aapld.libnet.info.
- FAMILY Open Swim – Open swim times at the Water Works. Wednesdays 5:30-8PM, Fridays 4-8PM and weekends 12-5PM. Schaumburg. Parkfun.com.
- ART Chicago Area Visual Artists Exhibit – January 5 – February 28. Enjoy works of art by this talented group as you immerse yourself in artistic interpretations of the natural world. Mayslake. Dupageforest.org
- EXHIBIT The Secret Forest – NEW interactive exhibit connecting our youngest visitors with nature and science through child-led play. 7 days a week, 10AM-4PM. Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. Lincoln Park. naturemuseum.org.
- OUTDOOR Ice Skating – Private group and open skate sessions are available. Skate rentals are included with all reservations. The Forge Adventure Park. Lemont. forgeparks.com.
- OUTDOOR Human+Nature Scultpures – Come see new sculptures in the Human+Nature Exhibit, open daily 7AM–Sunset. Last entry 3PM during winter months. The Morton Arboretum, Lisle. Mortonarb.org.
- OUTDOOR Polar Plaza Synthetic Ice Rink – Rink is open until Feb. 21. Free to residents and area visitors. The rink has a synthetic (plastic) which replicates an ice surface. Glen Ellyn. Gepark.org
- OUTDOOR Newton Park Sled Hill – Enjoy sledding on the only designated hill located near Newton Park. Sledding only during daylight hours. Weather permitting. Glen Ellyn. Gepark.org.
- OUTDOOR Snowshoe Rentals – Must be at least 2 inches of snow, 2-hour rentals at the Bartlett Nature Center Trails. All rentals must be returned by 4PM M-F and 2PM on Saturday. Bartlett. Bartlettparks.org.
- OUTDOOR Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon – through March 13. Lace up your skates and enjoy an ice-skating experience unlike any other! Skate a path of ice winding through the rolling city landscape. Free admission, fee for skate rental. Chicago. Maggiedaleypark.com.
- OUTDOOR McCormick Tribune Ice Rink – through March 6. Free admission, fee to rent skates. Online skating tickets required. Free skating lessons most Saturdays and Sundays 8-9AM. Chicago. Cityofchicago.org.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 15
- ADULTS Ice Fishing 101 – Learn how to get started on some great family fishing adventures through the ice. Build your own ice-rod, discuss tackle needed, bait, where to go and safety precautions. 6:30-7:30 PM. Algonquin Library-Eastgate Branch, Algonquin. algonquin.org.
- ADULTS WEDDING SHOWCASE – Connects couples with local businesses in every aspect of wedding planning. There will be a raffle with awesome prizes! FREE with pre-registration. Naper Settlement. 10AM-4PM. Napersettlement.org.
- ADULTS Kohlfahrt –Take a winter hike “cabbage walk” on the trails of Primrose Farm, stopping to warm up from with some games, snacks and spirits. Finish up with a hearty German meal at Riverlands Brewing Company. 2-4:30PM. St. Charles. For tickets: primrosefarm.org.
- CONCERT Baroque Showcase – Enjoy an afternoon of baroque as Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra musicians perform works of George Frideric Handel, Bach, Vivaldi and Telemann. 18+. 2:30PM. Purchase tickets in advance. Mayslake. Elmhurstsymphony.org.
- KIDS Frozen Fest – Meet your favorite Frozen characters! Hot Cocoa, coffee, cookies and photo ops will be available. Free, pre-register. 10AM-12PM. Polar Plaza, downtown Glen Ellyn. Gepark.org.
- WEDDING Naperville Settlement Wedding Showcase – Register for our Wedding Showcase on Saturday, January 15 … 10AM to 4PM. Tickets are free, but registration is required. NaperSettlement.org/WeddingShowcase 630-420-6010
MONDAY, JANUARY 17
- FAMILY Mini-Golf in the Stacks – Play a self-guided game of mini-golf on our 6-hole literary-themed course in the stacks. All day. Harnish Main, Algonquin Public Library District. Aapld.libnet.info.
- KIDS Pokémon Club – Meet to play and talk Pokémon with other trainers. Bring cards or play with the library’s. Trainers are welcome to bring DS, Switch, and devices for Pokémon Go as well. Ages 6+. 6-7PM. Naper Blvd. Library, Naperville. Naperville-lib.org.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19
- ADULTS Wine & Canvas at the Farm – Bring a bottle of your favorite wine, snacks and a few friends to enjoy a lively and creative night out! 6:30-8:30PM. Paintings posted monthly on Blackberry Farm’s Facebook page. Pre-register online. Foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
(Updated for this week…1/13 to 1/19)
Saturday, Jan. 8
- Frozen Gnome 10/K/5K. Crystal Lake. runfrozengnome.com.
- Mental Health Awareness
- A Winter Frolic for the Family
- Why Consider a Private School
- A Successful Fitness Journey Starts with 3 Steps
- Reasons to Send Your Kids to Summer Camp
- Dining Out
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS