WEEKEND+ for Thursday 1/5 to Wednesday 1/11.
THIS WEEK: Winter Boredom Busters | On Stage Performances | Mental Health Matters | Chicagoland Events | Dining Out | And More!
Winter Boredom Busters
The Great Indoor Sidewalk Sales & Restaurant Week in Downtown Naperville! From January 13-16, participating Downtown Naperville shops will be cutting winter prices in preparation for the incoming spring fashions for The Great Indoor Sidewalk Sales! This is the perfect opportunity to redeem unused Downtown Naperville gift cards as they are accepted at 150+ merchants! Then bring your appetite to Downtown Naperville January 20-February 5 as Naperville Restaurant Week will showcase many downtown restaurants from casual to fancy dining with each venue providing either a prix fixe menu at an appetizing price or discounts on featured menu choices! Come Shop, Dine, and Explore in Downtown Naperville! For more information, visit www.DowntownNaperville.com. LEARN MORE
For over 60 years, the world-famous Volo Museum’s 45 exhibits and 10,000 mechanical marvels guarantees to have something rare and amazing for everyone. Spend the day with hundreds of rotating classic cars, modern muscle cars and Hollywood vehicles, Jurassic Gardens indoor dinosaur experience, a hand-carved 1928 carousel hall, ice cream parlor, military museum, Disney display and one of the largest antique malls in the Midwest. There’s no place like Volo Museum in the world! Open daily 10a to 5p. Visit www.volofun.com. 27582 Volo Village Road, Volo, IL. LEARN MORE
Plan your visit to Creek Bend Nature Center
Need a change of scenery? Visit Creek Bend Nature Center located at LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve in St. Charles. There’s plenty to see and do – both inside and out!
The next time your stop-in for a visit, Creek Bend Nature Center will look a little different as a new tallgrass prairie exhibit has been installed! Crawl through the new fox den. Learn all about oaks. See what the Fox River could look like below the surface. View bison specimens in our prairie wild exhibit. Enjoy scavenger hunts, hikes and scheduled nature programs. At Creek Bend Nature Center, there’s always something to explore! Admission is always free. Creek Bend Nature Center is open: Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday: Noon – 4 p.m.
Japan Fest 2023: Holidays & Festivals
Oak Park River Forest High School Japanese program is hosting our annual Japan Fest on Saturday, February 4 from noon till 4:00 pm, and we are open to public again! Please come learn about Japanese holidays and festivals by participating in fun craft, interesting activities and great games. Food is available to purchase (cash only). Admission is free. This is a great event for the whole family! 201 N. Scoville Ave, Oak Park, IL 60302. LEARN MORE
Burpee Museum of Natural History
Join us as we celebrate 25 years of PaleoFest from March 3-5, 2023, with lectures from paleontologists around the world and special programming! Dino-lovers, rock collectors, & fossil diggers unite for an internationally attended festival. Many of the talks will focus on our speakers’ cutting edge research and amazing new discoveries. Learn about prehistoric animals and explore the halls of Burpee! 737 North Main Street, Rockford Illinois 61103 | 815.965.3433 | burpee.org | email@example.com LEARN MORE
LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago
Stepping into LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago is like you’ve just jumped into the biggest box of LEGO bricks ever! With over 3 million LEGO bricks under one roof and 2 stories of EPIC LEGO play, what will you discover? To see what else we have to offer, check out www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/chicago/! Be sure to buy tickets online to guarantee your entry. Located at 601 N. Martingale Road, STE 130 Schaumburg, IL 60173. LEARN MORE
WhirlyBall Naperville – Eat. Drink. Game ON!
Whether you’re celebrating an engagement, an anniversary, a team-building event, or raising funds for your not-for-profit, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! In addition to WhirlyBall, there’s a multi-level LaserTag arena, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane VIP private bowling suite, and HyperBowling. Offering a relaxed yet elevated dining experience featuring fresh takes on classic American fare, an expansive collection of 24 rotating craft beer selections, and refreshing signature cocktails. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800, WhirlyBall.com/Naperville LEARN MORE
Pick your own memories at Apple Holler orchard, family farm and sleigh ride winter wonderland! Enjoy great comfort food touched by the magic of apples at the Red Barn Restaurant, Bakery Café, Cider Bar and Farm Store. Four seasons of family fun for visitors to enjoy all year long! Apple Holler is the ideal rustic wedding venue located between Chicago and Milwaukee, WI, right off of I-94 at Exit 337, simply follow the signs to the FUN! (5006 S. Sylvania Ave. Sturtevant, WI 53177) Call (262) 884-7100 or visit www.appleholler.com for further information. LEARN MORE
Learn to ski/snowboard or bring the family and friends for snow tubing. With six ski runs and a double wide tube hill, Villa Olivia offers winter fun in your own backyard. We can even make our own snow! Book your winter fun online now at villaolivia.com. The season runs through March 5th (weather permitting). Villa Olivia is located at 1401 W. Lake Street in Bartlett. For hours of operation and weather related information visit villaolivia.com or call 630-540-4199. LEARN MORE
Peppa Pig World of Play Chicago
Jump into the world of Peppa Pig to explore and discover, interact and engage in 14 themed areas that are sure to be an unforgettable adventure with Peppa and her friends. Spark the imagination of your little piggies at Peppa Pig World of Play, an indoor family attraction designed for pre-school children and their families! Jump, laugh, play, imagine and giggle with the whole family! Visit our website to reserve your tickets today at www.peppapigworldofplay.com/chicago LEARN MORE
Downers Grove Ice Festival
Get out of the house for a weekend of fun, shopping and dining for all ages! The Annual Downtown Downers Grove Ice Festival returns February 3-5, 2023. Watch carvers demonstrate their art in person Saturday & Sunday with live ice carving demonstrations on Saturday from 11am-3pm. The carvings will remain out as long as whether permits! Details at www.downtowndg.org or 630-725-0991. LEARN MORE
Growing Cents Of Style
Growing Cents Of Style is a SEASONAL ONLINE Consignment Sale March 7th-11th, 2023. THOUSANDS of gently used children’s & junior’s clothes, shoes, toys, women’s clothing, home goods & more. All at just a fraction of retail. Curbside pickup & shipping available for orders. Interested in selling? Register online at www.growingcentsofstyle.com. You won’t want to miss this HUGE event! Follow us on Facebook & Instagram for all the details! LEARN MORE
Find fun this winter in Kenosha, WI. Explore the crisp air while skiing, snowboarding, tubing, or ice skating! Tour the lakefront while strolling along a sculpture walk or taking a ride aboard an authentic streetcar. Warm up at one of our many museums, art galleries, boutique shops or great eateries. Check out live theatre productions, concerts, and even comedy shows. You’ll never be bored here. Plan your getaway and find trip ideas at VisitKenosha.com LEARN MORE
Elk Grove Park District “Celebrate Your Child’s Special Day!”
Elk Grove Park District is your place to celebrate your child’s most special day! Gather your friends and family to experience one of our many beautiful and unique party spaces. Our facilities are open year-round and are budget friendly.
If you are looking for a space to create your special event, we offer a wide variety of rentals for all budgets. If your child has dreamed of a party under the Big Top, we offer a 28 horse Carousel and Jumps n’ Jiggles Play Zone or enjoy a Splashtastic event at Pavilion Aquatics Center. You can also rent gym space for a sports related party. Summer seasonal facilities including Pirates’ Cove Children’s Theme Park and Rainbow Falls Waterpark are cool places to celebrate on hot summer days.
You can book your summer events beginning January 1 and the Carousel parties can be booked up to one year in advance. Visit elkgroveparks.org to let us start planning your event. We are easily accessible from I-290 with ample parking. LEARN MORE
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com LEARN MORE
- January 2-20-Bring on guest for Free to the Fitness Center
- Members get 25% off Personal Training
- New Cario & Strength Equipment, including Matrix Performance Plus Treadmills
- Zumba, Pilates, Yoga and Spin classes
- Personal Training Available. Add Aquatic Membership
James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts | Broadway in Chicago | Overshadowed Theatrical Productions | The Genesee Theatre – Waukegan
“We are thrilled to bring an exciting and eclectic lineup to the JLC, including legendary artists with multiple Grammy nominations and TV/movie appearances between them,” says Alisa Baum, executive director. “This incredible season will help establish the JLC as a mecca of live entertainment for Lake County.”
- The Great DuBois … Sunday, January 22. A comedic variety showcase of juggling, aerial, magic, contortion and more, with free circus workshop.
- Bush/Marshall/Meyer/Meyer … Thursday, February 2. A supergroup with the legendary Sam Bush, multi-Grammy winner Edgar Meyer, Mike Marshall and George Meyer.
- LADAMA … Sunday, February 5. A quartet of virtuosic musicians from Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela and the U.S.
- Tab Benoit with opener JD Simo … Friday, February 24. Grammy-nominated, soulful Delta blues singer.
- Switchback … Sunday, March 19. Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this award-winning duo.
- Natalie MacMaster/Donnell Leahy … Friday, March 24. Marquee Celtic superstars.
- Chicago Dance Crash … Sunday, April 23. This hip hop/contemporary dance ensemble performs “Keepers of the Floor.”
- Gangstagrass … Sunday, May 14. Creator of the Emmy-nominated TV theme song for “Justified,” this unique group combines bluegrass, hip hop and beyond.
Broadway in Chicago
Broadway In Chicago has two upcoming productions that will make for an unforgettable family night out at the theatre. Share the experience of CATS, the beloved Andrew Lloyd Webber musical with breathtaking songs including “Memory”, for the first time as it begins a new life, or let it thrill you all over again! Featuring new choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler (Hamilton). Playing one week only February 21 – 26 at the James M. Nederlander Theatre.
ANNIE, the best-loved musical of all time returns in a new production celebrating family, optimism and the American spirit. The Chicago Tribune calls it “one of the best family musicals ever penned.” It’s the ultimate cure for all the hard knocks life throws your way. Playing March 7 – 19 at the Cadillac Palace Theatre. For tickets visit BroadwayInChicago.com LEARN MORE
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
The Wizard of Oz – January 20-February 4
We’re off to see the Wizard! Over ten generations have grown up loving this classic tale of an enchanted land – first as a beloved children’s book, then as an iconic Hollywood film. Now Overshadowed is bringing you an exciting stage adaptation of this legendary musical. It’s a show for the entire family filled with an immortal musical score including one of the greatest hit songs in musical history – “Over the Rainbow.” So follow the yellow brick road to Overshadowed. School Day Performances also available. Call for more information.
- TUSK: The Ultimate Fleetwood Mac Tribute … Thursday, January 26 – will be celebrating the legacy of Fleetwood Mac with their unforgettable chemistry.
- Lake Street Dive with Monica Martin … Sunday, January 29 – offers a chill, semi-acoustic evening of blues, folk, and jazz.
- Lombardi, the Broadway Play … February 3 and 4 – brings the intimacy of black-box theatre to the big stage.
- One of country music’s biggest stars, Josh Turner … Friday, February 10 – will grace the stage with his southern charm and baritone voice.
- The Commodores … Thursday, February 16 – will perform hits from their 55-year career.
- The final weekend lines-up Little River Band, Rick Springfield, and Tim Allen back-to-back … Thursday, February 16.
- Loneliness & Isolation – Tips to Overcome These Challenges
- Depression in Seniors
- Supporting Kids’ Mental Well-being
- Wellness Resource ~ Beyond Healing | Timberline Knolls “Making a Real-Life Difference” | Jade Orchid Wellness | Villa St. Benedict “The Heart of the Community” | Recovery International ~ Teen Mental Wellness
- New Year’s Goal: How to Practice
- Self-Care for Better Mental Health
More Chicagoland Events…
THURSDAY, JANUARY 5
- KIDS Pokémon Club – Meet to play and talk Pokémon with other trainers. Bring cards or play with the library’s, or bring other Pokemon items for show and tell. Ages 6+. 6-7PM. Nichols Library, Naperville. Naperville-lib.org
- FAMILY Flurries ‘N Fun –Bring your skates and chill out at the ice rink for some winter fun. 5:30-7:00PM. Kemmerling Park, Roselle. rparks.org
FRIDAY, JANUARY 6
- FAMILY Bald Eagle Days – The Quad Cities celebrates the annual return of these majestic birds each winter. Join us at the QCCA Expo Center. January 6-8, see webpage for hours and admission prices. Qccaexpocenter.com
- FAMILY Flick and Float: Harry Potter – Potter in the Pool at Waterworks. Register. 6-8PM. The Water Works, Schaumburg. Parkfun.com
- OUTDOOR Guided Nature Walk – The full moon will be rising during these brisk walks at Churchill Park. All ages. 6:30-7:30PM. Gepark.org
- TRIVIA The Challenge: Live Quiz Game – Show off your knowledge as you compete for prizes during this friendly quiz game featuring pop culture, music, animals, history, geography and more. Register with a team or let us help you find one. 7-8:30PM. Mayslake. Dupageforest.org
- EXHIBIT In Pursuit of Happiness: Immigrants in Our Communities – October 28-May 14. Examine diverse stories of area immigrants as told through first-person accounts, objects, video and more. FREE. Elmhurst History Museum, elmhursthistory.org
- TOURS Black History Month Tours – Take a tour with award winning Chicago historian for a perspective changing neighborhood tour. Feb 4 – Feb 25. DuSable Museum of African American History, Chicago. AllEvents.in
- ICE SKATING Polar Plaza Synthetic Ice Rink – Rink is open until February 14, 2023. Free to residents and area visitors. The rink has a synthetic (plastic) which replicates an ice surface. Glen Ellyn. Gepark.org | Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon – Through March 5. ree admission, fee for skate rental. Maggiedaleypark.com | Bobby Hull Community Ice Rink – Open all season long. Cicero. thetownofcicero.com | McCormick Tribune Ice Rink – Open through March 5. Free admission, fee to rent skates. Online skating tickets required. Cityofchicago.org
- SLEDDING Newton Park Sled Hill – Enjoy sledding on the only designated hill located near Newton Park. Sledding only during daylight hours. Users determine if conditions are appropriate. Gepark.org
- SNOWSHOE Snowshoe Rentals – Must be at least 2 inches of snow, 2-hour rentals at the Bartlett Nature Center Trails. All rentals must be returned by 4PM M-F and 2PM on Saturday. Bartlettparks.org
- OUTDOOR Eagle Watching in the Quad Cities – Eagle watches offered in the historic Clock Tower and prime outdoor viewing locations. For times and information, check qccaexpocenter.com
- FAMILY Open Swim – Open swim times at the Water Works, Schaumburg! Wednesdays 5:30-8PM, Fridays 4-8PM and weekends 12-5PM. Children may not be left unattended. Parkfun.com
SATURDAY, JANUARY 7
- TEENS/ADULTS Naperville Park District and KidsMatter Community Job Fair – Individuals seeking summer, seasonal or year-round, part-time employment are invited to job fair representing 50 area businesses. 10AM–1PM. Fort Hill Activity Center, Naperville. napervilleparks.org
OUTDOOR Farmhouse Tours: Keeping Your Family Healthy This Winter – Learn about “sick foods’ in the 1890’s and how candy was used as medicine in these special guided tours. Saturdays in Jan. and Feb. 10AM-4PM. Kline Creek Farm. West Chicago. Dupageforest.org
SUNDAY, JANUARY 8
- FAMILY Midwest Train Show – DuPage County Fairgrounds. 9AM – 3PM. Wheaton. dupagecountyfair.org
MONDAY, JANUARY 9
- SENIORS Weekly Movies – Mondays at noon, Tuesdays at 1PM and Wednesdays at 11AM. Catch a free movie with friends. Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center. Naperville. See web page or activity catalog for movie list. Napervilleparks.org
- EXHIBIT Tallgrass Prairie Exhibit – Featuring fox dens, scavenger hunts, hikes and nature programs Monday – Thursday: 10AM – 4PM. Creek Bend Nature Center, St. Charles. kaneforest.com
- ADULT EDUCATION Caregiver Stress-Busting Program – This 9-week program teaches stress-management techniques and coping strategies for caregivers and your loved ones. Downers Grove. Call 630-719-6670 for information.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11
- SENIORS Senior Bingo – Join us for FREE Bingo at the CORE Gym, 1-2PM. Must register in advance. Lemontparkdistrict.org
We think you’ll like these articles, too…
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS