WEEKEND+ for Thursday 1/6 to Wednesday 1/12
WINTER FUN! | SPECIAL SECTION: Mental Health Awareness | Winter Boredom Busters | On Stage | Chicagoland Events | Fitness Journey Tips + Race Events | Why Consider Private School? | Dining Out
GO TO Suburban Family’s “WINTER FUN!” issue.
SPECIAL SECTION: Mental Health Awareness
- Struggling With Mental Health Issues
- 7 TIPS On How Family Members Can Discuss Their Mental Health Issues With Others
- 7 REASONS Why Getting Help For Your Fears And Anxieties Is So Important
- Is Social Media Toxic to Mental Health?
- Understanding Anxiety and Depression in Children—and How You Can Help
- Is My Child Struggling? The ABCs (and DEFs) to Watch For
- Mental Health Wellness Resource
Winter Boredom Busters…
(Updated for this week…1/6 to 1/12)
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
Need a change of scenery? Visit Creek Bend Nature Center for fun, interactive exhibits. There’s plenty to see and do – both inside and out! Learn all about oaks. See what the Fox River could look like below the surface. View bison specimens in our prairie wild exhibit. Enjoy scavenger hunts, hikes and scheduled nature programs. At Creek Bend Nature Center, there are things to explore galore! Admission is always free. We’re open: Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday – Sunday: Noon – 4 p.m. LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve, 37W700 Dean St., St. Charles. www.kaneforest.com 630-444-3190
Enjoy a nine-day celebration of food and flavors in the Kenosha Area during Kenosha Restaurant Week! Join us February 19 – 27, 2022 to explore new places, re-visit old favorites, and show support to locally owned establishments. There will be great deals, as well as a variety of special offerings – so come hungry! Make it an overnight so you can enjoy shopping and attractions in the area, too. Learn more at www.VisitKenosha.com/RW or by calling 262-654-7307.
Learn to ski/snowboard or bring the family and friends for snow tubing. With six ski runs and a double wide tube hill Villa Olivia offers winter fun in your own backyard. We can even make our own snow! Book your winter fun online now at villaolivia.com. The season runs through March 6th (weather permitting). Villa Olivia is located at 1401 W. Lake Street in Bartlett. For hours of operation and weather-related information visit www.villaolivia.com or call 630-540-4199.
The Princess Diana Exhibition
Anticipated to be one of the hottest tickets this season, The Princess Diana Exhibition: Accredited Access, has made its Chicago debut and is open to the public at 19 Oakbrook Center. This exhibit is the first-ever walk-through documentary, telling the untold story of how a princess changed the world. For the first time, world famous Royal Photographers, Anwar Hussein and his two sons Zak and Samir, will share collections of their original images and the intimate, never-before-told stories behind them. The Husseins collectively spent four decades working side by side with the iconic Princess and her family and will reveal what they witnessed first-hand, both in public and private moments. Tickets are on sale now, and can purchased at www.feverup.com/m/104604
Downers Grove Ice Festival
Get out of the house for a weekend of fun, shopping and dining for all ages! The Annual Downtown Downers Grove Ice Festival returns February 4-6, 2022. Watch carvers demonstrate their art in person Friday evening under the lights at 5:30pm on the southeast corner of Main and Curtiss and on Saturday with live ice carving demonstrations on Saturday from 11am-3pm. The carvings will remain out as long as whether permits! Details at www.downtowndg.org or 630-725-0991.
Whether you’re planning your next family fun day, work outing, or holiday party, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! In addition to WhirlyBall, there’s a multi-level lasertag arena, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane VIP private bowling suite, and HyperBowling. Offering a relaxed yet elevated dining experience featuring fresh takes on classic American fare, an expansive collection of 24 rotating craft beer selections, and refreshing signature cocktails. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800, www.whirlyball.com/naperville
Sonny Acres Farm – West Chicago
Sonny Acres Farm offers endless possibilities when it comes to planning your next event, boasting 22 acres of space, perfect for a variety of special occasions. From breathtaking weddings set in one of our many beautiful backdrops to large scale corporate events, family reunions, kids birthday parties and more, the customization options are both fun and flexible to perfectly pair with any occasion. For extra “wow factor” at your next event, treat your guests to some of our seasonal offerings including access to amusement rides, petting zoo, hayrides around the property and much more. For a consultation on how to make your next event the best one yet, visit www.sonnyacres.com. 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL 60185. (630) 231-3859
Fleetwood Roller Rink – Summit
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com
Great Lakes Volleyball Center
Looking for a summer volleyball camp for your son or daughter, well look no further? The Great Lakes Volleyball Center located at 579 N. Oakhurst Drive, Aurora, IL. 60502 offers summer volleyball camps for girls and boys of various ages and skill levels. GLC offers camps for the beginner as well as the advanced/elite level player. For more info, call 630-898-6400 or visit www.greatlakescenter.com FB: Sports Performance Volleyball
Rock ‘N’ Kids
In-person and virtual music, movement and imagination classes available for 1-6 years at park districts in Chicagoland! Tot Rock, Kid Rock and Rockin’ at Home programs are Interactive and educational, with each class including songs and rhymes, basic dance steps and movements, fine and gross motor skills, rhythm instruments and movement props, imaginative play, socialization and fun! Sing, dance, and play the Rock ‘n’ Kids way! We have been having fun with music for 27 years! Get more information at www.rockitkids.com.
(Updated for this week…1/6 to 1/12)
- “All Shook Up” – 1/28 to 2/6
- “The Boomer Babes” Still Rock’! – 1/23
- The Second City Remix – 1/29
- Koresh Dance Company presents “La Danse” – 2/6
- “A Year With Frog and Toad” – 1/21 to 2/5 (Ask about our school day performance on Jan. 28!)
- “Dinosaur World LIVE” – 2/1
- “Scooby-Doo! And the Lost City of Gold” – 3/27
- “Beyond the Eats” Alton Brown: Live! – 4/2
(Updated for this week…1/6 to 1/12)
THURSDAY, JANUARY 6
- KIDS Pokémon Club – Meet to play and talk Pokémon with other trainers. Bring cards or play with the library’s. Trainers are welcome to bring DS, Switch, and devices for Pokémon Go as well. Ages 6+. 6-7PM. Naper Blvd. Library, Naperville. Naperville-lib.org.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 7
- COMEDY First Fridays Improv – Come relax and prepare to laugh! Clean comedy, complete improvisation from a semi-professional cast. Stay for the live music and the bar. Pre-purchase tickets. 8-9:45PM. Hemmens Cultural Center, Elgin. Cityofelgin.org.
- FAMILY Winter Fest at Winter Lights – Enjoy a walk around the park during Winter Lights at Central Park event. This outdoor event will include firepits, smores kits, and music. Oak Brook. Register obparks.org.
- FAMILY Bald Eagle Days – The Quad Cities celebrates the annual return of these majestic birds each winter. Join us at the QCCA Expo Center. January 7-9, see webpage for hours and admission prices. Qccaexpocenter.com.
- TEENS Super Smash Bros Tournament – Ages 3rd-8th grades. Players compete in socially distant e-sports round-robin tournament, competing for prizes! 6-8:30PM. Fountain View Rec Center, Carol Stream CSParks.org.
- TRIVIA The Challenge: Live Quiz Game – Show off your knowledge as you compete for prizes during this friendly quiz game featuring pop culture, music, animals, history, geography and more. Register with a team or let us help you find one. 7-8:30PM. Mayslake. Dupageforest.org.
- FAMILY Open Swim – Open swim times at the Water Works. Wednesdays 5:30-8PM, Fridays 4-8PM and weekends 12-5PM. Schaumburg. Parkfun.com.
- ART Chicago Area Visual Artists Exhibit – January 5 – February 28. Enjoy works of art by this talented group as you immerse yourself in artistic interpretations of the natural world. Mayslake. Dupageforest.org
- EXHIBIT The Secret Forest – NEW interactive exhibit connecting our youngest visitors with nature and science through child-led play. 7 days a week, 10AM-4PM. Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. Lincoln Park. naturemuseum.org.
- OUTDOOR Ice Skating – Private group and open skate sessions are available. Skate rentals are included with all reservations. The Forge Adventure Park. Lemont. forgeparks.com.
- OUTDOOR Human+Nature Scultpures – Come see new sculptures in the Human+Nature Exhibit, open daily 7AM–Sunset. Last entry 3PM during winter months. The Morton Arboretum, Lisle. Mortonarb.org.
- OUTDOOR Polar Plaza Synthetic Ice Rink – Rink is open until Feb. 21. Free to residents and area visitors. The rink has a synthetic (plastic) which replicates an ice surface. Glen Ellyn. Gepark.org
- OUTDOOR Newton Park Sled Hill – Enjoy sledding on the only designated hill located near Newton Park. Sledding only during daylight hours. Weather permitting. Glen Ellyn. Gepark.org.
- OUTDOOR Snowshoe Rentals – Must be at least 2 inches of snow, 2-hour rentals at the Bartlett Nature Center Trails. All rentals must be returned by 4PM M-F and 2PM on Saturday. Bartlett. Bartlettparks.org.
- OUTDOOR Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon – through March 13. Lace up your skates and enjoy an ice-skating experience unlike any other! Skate a path of ice winding through the rolling city landscape. Free admission, fee for skate rental. Chicago. Maggiedaleypark.com.
- OUTDOOR McCormick Tribune Ice Rink – through March 6. Free admission, fee to rent skates. Online skating tickets required. Free skating lessons most Saturdays and Sundays 8-9AM. Chicago. Cityofchicago.org.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 8
- FAMILY Flick-N-Float – Join us as we watch the movie SHARK TALE in the pool! Participants will also receive a freeze pop treat. All Ages. 6-8 PM. Register. The CORE Indoor Pool, Lemont. Lemontparkdistrict.org.
- KIDS Nature Tot Workshop – Head outdoors and make a project that will encourage kids to interact with nature. 9:30AM. Lyman Woods, Downers Grove. Register dgparks.org.
- TEENS/ADULTS Naperville Park District and KidsMatter Community Job Fair – Individuals seeking summer, seasonal or year-round, part-time employment are invited to job fair representing 50 area businesses. 10AM–1PM. Fort Hill Activity Center, Naperville. napervilleparks.org.
- ARTS and CRAFTS Handmade Market Chicago – Jan. 8 and Feb. 12, browse locally made items including funky jewelry, glass pendants, clothing, handbags, crafts and more, The Empty Bottle, Chicago. Handmadechicago.com.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 9
- OUTDOOR Snowtrekking in the Nature Sanctuary –January 9, Feb. 5 and 12. Snowshoes provided, pre-register. Must be at least 3 inches of snow. Burnham Park, Chicago. Chicagoparkdistrict.com.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 11
- OUTDOORS Hiking with Our Nocturnal Neighbors – Look for signs of coyotes, owls, and deer on this guided hike in Greene Valley. Ages 12+ with an adult. Register online. 5-7PM. Dupageforest.org.
- SENIORS Senior Bingo – Join us for FREE Bingo at the CORE Gym, 1-2PM. Must register in advance. Lemontparkdistrict.org.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12
- ADULT Donut Bingo – Enjoy a Wednesday morning donut, socializing and a few games of Bingo! RSVP one week in advance. Ages 18+. 9:45-11AM. Invillapark.com.
- HEALTH Nutrition Seminar Series – Learn steps to develop healthy eating habits; weight loss essentials, healthy eating on a budget, mindful snacking and nutrition for active individuals will be covered. 5:30-6:30PM. FREE event, registration required. Aurora. Foxvalleyparkdistrict.org.
- HEALTH Kids Nutrition Seminar: Foundations – Ages 18+. Learn about your child’s basic nutritional needs, what foods to avoid and safe supplements. 6:30-7:30PM. CORE Gym, Kensington Room. Pre-register. Lemontparkdistrict.org.
Saturday, Jan. 8
- Frozen Gnome 10/K/5K. Crystal Lake. runfrozengnome.com.
- Mental Health Awareness
- A Winter Frolic for the Family
- Why Consider a Private School
- A Successful Fitness Journey Starts with 3 Steps
- Reasons to Send Your Kids to Summer Camp
- Dining Out
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS