WEEKEND+ for Thursday 3/23 to Wednesday 3/29.
THIS WEEK: Chicagoland Events | Swing Into Spring | On Stage | Fitness Events | Summer Camp Source | Dining Out | And More!
Go to Suburban Family Magazine | Summer Camp Source | 2023 Annual Race Guide | Swing Into Spring
Chicagoland Area Events…
FRIDAY, MARCH 24
- DAILY EXHIBIT Black Creativity Juried Art Exhibition – Longest running exhibition of African-American
art in the US featuring over 100 Black artists. Runs through April 23 at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. msichicago.org
Over 20 terrific kid’s camps in SF’s
SUMMER CAMP SOURCE
- DAILY EXHIBIT Women and the Environment Series – Open Fridays through March 2023. Celebrate the contributions women have made to the Natural World through these programs. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org
- DAILY EXHIBIT Superfood Friends are Exhibit – The Art Center in Highland Park hosts this new exhibit by Prescott Ellison featuring artwork, books and toys about the Superfood Friends characters. Highland Park. Theartcenterhp.org
- DAILY EXHIBIT Be-Longing Sculptures – Solo exhibition by Indira Johnson’s sculptures reflecting her efforts to maintain a sense of belonging. Runs 3/3 – 4/8. The Art Center, Highland Park. Chicagogallerynews.com
- DAILY EXHIBIT In Pursuit of Happiness: Immigrants in our Communities – Exhibit runs through May 14,
2023 examining personal stories and experiences of immigrants and their descendants, told through photos, objects and stories. Elmhurst. Elmhurstartmuseum.org
The 2023 ANNUAL RACE GUIDE…the best fitness
and charity race listings…from now thru December!!
- DAILY EXHIBIT The Negro Motorist Green Book – The Illinois Holocaust Museum runs this exhibit 1/29 through 4/23 and shares the history of The Green Book, an annual travel guide for African American travelers. Skokie. Ilholocaustmuseum.org
- DAILY EXHIBIT Through Darkness to Light: Photographs Along the Underground Railroad – 1/28-3/19. A visual story of 2,000 miles of the Underground Railroad. Dunn Museum, Libertyville. lcfpd.org.
- KIDS Hands on Learning – Join DuPage Children’s Museum for Arts & Maker programming which provides children with the materials, tools, inspiration, and opportunities for collaboration that truly lets their imaginations soar. Naperville. dupagechildrens.org
- KIDS Tiny Great Performances Series – Saturdays in March and April features an integration of play performances. Included with museum admission. Performance times vary. DuPage Children’s Museum, Naperville. Dupagechildrens.org
- OUTDOOR The Forge: Lemont Quarries – Forgefire Adventure Dining is an unforgettable dining experience in a climate-controlled globe. Keep warm with heated table, blankets, and extraordinary food. Every Friday, Saturdays and Sundays in March. forgeparks.com/adventure-dining
- OUTDOOR Hiking Group – Chicago area people looking to get outdoors and socialize can join an event leader for a hike at various locations and distances. Register. Meetup.com/chicagohos
- FAMILY First Fridays – A night of art, fun, music, dance and community at local businesses and venues in downtown Aurora the first Friday evening each month. Aurora. Auroradowntown.org
SATURDAY, MARCH 25
- CLASS West Suburban Lapidary Club – monthly meetings with demonstrations, presentations and information on cutting and polishing stones. Club meets at 1PM. Programs at 2PM. Lizzadro Museum. Lizzadromuseum.org
- CRAFTS Art and Market Aurora – Curated indoor market featuring food and artisan vendor as Society 57. Free entry. 11AM-12PM. Aurora. Auroradowtown.org
- CRAFTS Shower of Crafts – Midwestern artisans selling high-quality, handcrafted art and crafts. College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn. Craftproductionsinc.com
- DOGS Doggy Egg Hunt – Dogs hunt for treat-filled eggs at Clow Stephens Dog Park. 12-12:30PM. Plainfield. Plfdparks.org
- DOGS Hound Egg Hunt – Head over to Fred P. Hall Amphitheater for a hound-only egg hunt. Check website for entry time by weight. Palatine. Amphitheater. Palatineparks.org
- FAMILY Dunn Museum Sensory Friendly Hour – 9-10AM. For those who need a calm and quiet visit before it is open to the public. A quiet room will be available for breaks. Libertyville. Lcfpd.org
- GARDENING 1800’s Vegetables – Come plant your own vegetable seeds to take home, tour the farmhouse and learn about growing vegetables in the 1800s. 10AM-12PM. Lisle. Lisleparkdistrict.org
SUNDAY, MARCH 26
- CONCERT Chicago Immigrant Orchestra – Orchestra members play instruments native to their countries for a one-of-a-kind music experience. 2-3PM. Elmhurst History Museum. Elmhurst. Elmhursthistory.org
MONDAY, MARCH 27
- FAMLY Family History Day – Special time reserved for families to drop in and enjoy the “In Pursuit of Happiness” exhibit. Drop in 11AM-3PM. Elmhurst History Museum. Elmhurst. Elmhursthistory.org
TUESDAY, MARCH 28
- FAMILY Dunn Nature Play and Crafts – 10-11:30AM. Drop-in to Dunn Museum’s North Shore Gas Classroom for hands-on experiences. Adult supervision required. Libertyville. Lcfpd.org
WEDENSDAY, MARCH 29
- FAMLY Passport to Community History – Pick up a Community History Passport to begin your local adventure at 3 historical sites in Bensenville 11AM-3PM. Various sites. Bensenville. Elmhursthistory.org
“Swing Into Spring” with these Great Activities and Venues
Eat. Drink. Game ON! Whether you’re celebrating an engagement, an anniversary, a team-building event, or raising funds for your not-for-profit, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! In addition to WhirlyBall, there’s a multi-level LaserTag arena, eight bowling lanes, a four-lane VIP private bowling suite, and HyperBowling. Offering a relaxed yet elevated dining experience featuring fresh takes on classic American fare, an expansive collection of 24 rotating craft beer selections, and refreshing signature cocktails. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800, www.WhirlyBall.com/Naperville
The world-famous Volo Museum’s 45 exhibits guarantees to have something rare and amazing for everyone including hundreds of rotating classic and modern collector cars, movie/TV vehicles, an indoor dinosaur experience, a carousel hall, ice cream parlor, military museum, Disney Gallery and one of the largest antique malls in the Midwest. This spring check out our new Titanic Experience, Hollywood Train Museum, train tours of the property, a mini golf course, animatronic ice age exhibit and an all new party/event space for up to 100 people! Open daily 10a to 5p. Visit www.volofun.com. 27582 Volo Village Road, Volo, IL.
Downtown Aurora Events
Enjoy springtime in downtown Aurora. See public art, visit family-friendly museums, stop by local coffee shops, and enjoy free events. Egg Hunt on the Island is a downtown-wide fun hunt from 1 to 3 p.m. on April 1. Experience art, music, and more at monthly First Fridays events with more than two dozen venues open with activities for all ages. May 5 is the annual Food Truck Festival. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org
Village of Hinsdale Community Pool
Summer is Calling – This summer, beat the heat and have a blast at the Village of Hinsdale Community Pool. Featuring a 50-meter pool with 25-meter L shape, zero-depth walk in wading pool with play features, a diving well with drop slide, two 1M diving boards and a 3M diving board. Passes are affordable and offer great value for families and individuals. Also available are 10 visit passes and Neighborly Rates! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to make memories and stay cool this summer. For more information, visit www.villageofhinsdale.org/pr and follow @HinsdaleParks for updates and events. Get your pass today!
Spring into summer with the Bensenville Park District!
With new spring golf rates at White Pines Golf Club starting March 1, a water park season pass sale March 1-15, the free April 1 Egg Hunt and Eggstravaganza, the White Pines Easter Brunch with the Easter Bunny April 9 and Earth Day events April 22, you’re sure to have a great time. Summer program registration begins April 4 (in-district) and 5. Visit BvilleParks.org for more information!
Spring in Naperville
Naperville in the springtime is an epicenter of fun adventures. Springtime beauty is scattered across the city in the parks, the Riverwalk, and eclectic Downtown. Go to www.VisitNaperville.com to find more information on upcoming spring events in the city like concerts, art fairs, and more. You can also find a full list of all our amazing parks, making it easy to enjoy nature this spring. Naperville is your next springtime destination for fun in the sun!
Peppa Pig World of Play Chicago
Jump into the world of Peppa Pig to explore and discover, interact and engage in 14 themed areas that are sure to be an unforgettable adventure with Peppa and her friends. Spark the imagination of your little piggies at Peppa Pig World of Play, an indoor family attraction designed for pre-school children and their families! Jump, laugh, play, imagine and giggle with the whole family! Visit our website to reserve your tickets today at www.peppapigworldofplay.com/chicago.
Downtown Naperville Has Spring Savings Around Every Corner!
New discounts, deals, and offers are waiting for you throughout the month of March with Downtown Naperville’s Spring Savings Pass! Whether you’re looking to freshen up your wardrobe, your look, or just wanting to get out and enjoy some great food and libations… take advantage of the Spring Savings in Downtown Naperville! Also, don’t forget your gift cards! Downtown Naperville Gift Cards are accepted at 150+ downtown merchants! Come Shop, Dine, and Explore in Downtown Naperville! For more information, visit downtownnaperville.com!
Rockford Park District’s Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens
Secret Life of Butterflies – NOW – June 4
Join us to explore the wild, wonderful, and often strange world of butterflies and moths! See the whole lepidoptera lifecycle in action as caterpillars munch on leaves, butterflies emerge from their chrysalis, and moths from their cocoons. Get an up-close look at these amazing insects in the butterfly house as you’re surrounded by native and exotic butterflies! Located at Rockford Park District’s Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, 1354 N. Second St. Rockford, IL. www.nicholasconservatory.com/butterflies
College of DuPage STEMCON
Get Your Geek On! Saturday, April 29, 10 AM to 4 PM. Free. Hands-On Exhibits, In-Person Workshops, On-Demand Virtual Activities. Special guest Kate Biberdorf–Kate the Chemist live interactive demonstration. COD staff and industry experts will be on hand to provide an inside view into some of the most in-demand and cutting-edge careers of today and the future. To learn more visit: www.cod.edu/stemcon Come for the knowledge. Stay for the fun!
LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago
Stepping into LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago is like you’ve just jumped into the biggest box of LEGO bricks ever! With over 3 million LEGO bricks under one roof and 2 stories of EPIC LEGO play, what will you discover? To see what else we have to offer, check out www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/chicago/! Be sure to buy tickets online to guarantee your entry. Located at 601 N. Martingale Road, STE 130 Schaumburg, IL 60173.
Think Spring Break in Kenosha, WI!
You’ll find world-class museums to explore, and at least a half dozen places to create your own art as a family. History buffs will love The Civil War Museum and Kenosha History Center. Plus, enjoy miles of hiking trails, bike paths, and more nature areas as the weather warms! Enjoy adventure beyond the expected north of the border. For more info and to plan your trip, go to www.visitkenosha.com
Come Together! Women’s Weekend Lake Geneva … April. 28-30, 2023.
This fun-filled weekend has a 60s-70s vibe, and offers wellness classes, wine and food experiences, workshops and social events including 60-70s-themed party at the historic Riviera Ballroom, and a boat cruise on beautiful Geneva Lake. See the schedule of sessions, hotel discounts and local sponsors, and register at LakeGenevaWomensWeekend.com. Women’s Weekend is hosted by the Geneva Lake Women’s Association (GLWA). Proceeds benefit charitable organizations throughout Walworth County, Wis.
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate.” Complete Birthday Packages include Admission, Skate Rentals, Pizza & Soft Drink, Birthday Centerpiece, Gift for Birthday Person, Birthday Host and Mic Announcement. Check website for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
THIS WEEK’S RACES…
SATURDAY, MARCH 22
Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle – March 24 – 26, Grant Park. Packet Pick-Up: March 24 & 25. The Mile: Saturday, 3/25. 8K run and 2-Mile Walk: Sunday, 3/26. Instagram handle: @ChiShuffle, Hashtags: #ShamrockShuffle #Shuffleto8K. www.shamrockshuffle.com
The 2023 ANNUAL RACE GUIDE is your source for the full year of the best races…from now thru December!
- Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle – March 24 – 26, Grant Park. Packet Pick-Up: March 24 & 25. The Mile: Saturday, 3/25. 8K run and 2-Mile Walk: Sunday, 3/26. Instagram handle: @ChiShuffle, Hashtags: #ShamrockShuffle #Shuffleto8K. www.shamrockshuffle.com
- Superhero Fun Run 5K – Sat., 4/15 at 8:30AM. Memorial Park, Wheaton. www.wheatonparkdistrict.com/events/funrun
- Saw Wee Kee – Spring Trail Run – Sat. 4/22 at 4 PM. 3-Mile Course, 7350 Sundown Lane, Yorkville. Oswegoland Park District. 630-554-1010. www.RunOswegoland.org
- Fight Hunger 5K/10K Run/Walk – Sat., 4/22 at 8:30 AM. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. Benefitting Northern IL. Food Bank. www.SolveHungerToday.org/FightHunger
- Chicken Run 5K/10K and Lil’ Peeps Kids Run – Sat. 4/29. USATF certified, chip timed, Cash Prizes. 5 year Custom Age & Custom Finisher Medals. Batavia, IL.
We think you’ll like these articles, too…
Al Larson Prairie Center for the Arts
- Mutts Gone Nuts – March 25, 1pm and 4pm
- Mike Super Magic & Illusion – April 1, 7pm
The Schaumburg Prairie Center puts the spotlight on family entertainment this spring with an exciting variety of mainstage shows.
Live music and dance combine on Sunday, March 5, when 30 members of McNulty Irish Dancers are joined by an ensemble from the Murphy Roche Irish Music Club in a celebration of the beautiful tradition of Celtic performing arts.
Back by popular demand, comedy dog spectacular Mutts Gone Nuts returns for two performances on Sunday, March 25. Deemed “a must see” by the Washington Post, these talented four-legged performers are sure to delight audiences of all ages.
On Saturday, April 1, winner of NBC’s Phenomenon and top America’s Got Talent finalist Mike Super delivers astonishing magic and illusions in this captivating, interactive show filled with humor and heart.
For tickets, visit prairiecenter.org or call the Box Office at 847-895-3600. The Prairie Center, located at 201 Schaumburg Ct. in Schaumburg, is owned and operated by the Village of Schaumburg.
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
The 39 Steps – Now through – April 1
A comedy thriller, Alfred Hitchcock’s The 39 Steps is packed with nonstop laughs and over 150 eccentric characters (played by four actors). The play is about a man with an ordinary life who meets a woman with a strong accent who says she’s a spy. When he takes her home, she is murdered. Soon, a mysterious organization called “The 39 Steps” is hot on the man’s trail in a nationwide manhunt that climaxes in a death-defying finale. A riotous blend of virtuoso performances and wildly inventive stagecraft, The 39 Steps amounts to an unforgettable evening of pure pleasure.
Located at 900 Foster Avenue in Medinah, Illinois. To order tickets, please call the box office at 630-634-2100 or go to www.overshadowed.org.
Denny Diamond appears at White Fence Farm, Bolingbrook – April 6 and May 10th
Denny Diamond appears at Hickory Hall, Crystal Lake – April 14th
Since his “2000” debut on Dick Clark’s show, “Your Big Break,” Denny has been traveling across the country performing his one-of-a-kind tribute to the music of Neil Diamond. He has a carefree, fun-loving attitude on stage, but what really sets him apart is his full-throated, robust baritone voice.
During COVID, like many other musicians, Denny started having fun streaming his performances online. Always up for a laugh, he began to refer to himself as “the world’s okayest vocalist.” This new moniker caught on, and with it he’s adding all new performances in “2023,” covering songs made famous by legendary artists like Tom Jones, Barry Manilow, Elvis, and many others, including, of course, Neil Diamond. And also adding songs from beloved Broadway productions like “Carousel.”
For more information on Denny and his performances, visit DennyDiamond.com.
STARLIGHT TOURS provides Motorcoach transportation to many musical events and tours, such as…
- Kenny and Dolly Tribute – April 3
- Day in Milwaukee– April 13
- Grumpy Old Men, The Musical– April 21
- Washington, DC Tour – June 5 to 11
- Four Winds Casino, New Buffalo, MI – March 8, Aril 5, May 5, July 2 and July 6. Special all inclusive prices
We also provide Pick-Ups in Crystal Lake, Elk Grove Village, Johnsburg, Rockford, Stream and Woodridge …Come make a memory with us
Call Char at 262-853-0484 | Visit StarLightToursLLC.com for our complementary schedule.
Summer Camp Source
Over 20 great kid’s camps in SF’s SUMMER CAMP SOURCE
It’s no exaggeration to say that the one event kids really look forward to all year is a Summer Camp. Simply click Summer Camp Source to find many wonderful camps to pique your child’s interest and expand their abilities.
Comments are closed.