WEEKEND+ for Thursday 3/24 to Wednesday 3/30
UPDATED: Summer Camps. It’s Sign-Up Time | Swing Into Spring | 2022 Annual Race Guide | Birthday Party Lessons Learned | On Stage | Building Resiliency in Children
GO TO…Suburban Family’s March/April 2022 issue
Summer Camps. It’s Sign-Up Time…
(Updated for 3/24 to 3/30)
Downers Grove Park District Summer Camps
Downers Grove Park District summer camps offer nearly 100 adventures where kids will make memories that will last a lifetime! Check out action-packed sport camps, teen trips, traditional day camps and our early childhood camps. Unique specialty camps let kids delve into science, robotics, cooking, visual and cultural arts. Campers can take a swing at our golf camps, discover the great outdoors with nature camps or explore their historical side at one of our museum camps. Before and after care is available for full-day camps. For more info go to www.dgparks.org/summercamps.
Rock ‘n’ Kids!
In-person and virtual music, movement and imagination classes available for 1-6 years at park districts in Chicagoland! Tot Rock, Kid Rock and Rockin’ at Home programs are Interactive and educational, with each class including songs and rhymes, basic dance steps and movements, fine and gross motor skills, rhythm instruments and movement props, imaginative play, socialization and fun! Sing, dance, and play the Rock ‘n’ Kids way! We have been having fun with music for 27 years! Get more information at www.rockitkids.com.
Great Lakes Volleyball Center
Looking for a summer volleyball camp for your son or daughter ages Pre-K through 12th grade? The Great Lakes Center is located at 579 N. Oakhurst Drive, Aurora, IL. 60502 will be running camps in late June through the first week of August. You do not want to miss our World Class Training with “America’s #1 Summer Volleyball Camp Program” Don’t forget to ask about our site camps where we come to you! For more information call 630-898-6400 or visit www.greatlakescenter.com/camps / FB: Sports Performance Volleyball
Sports Broadcasting Camp
The Sports Broadcasting Camp returns to Skokie July 11-15, 2022. Boys and girls ages 10-18 will have an opportunity to learn from the pros in the sports broadcasting industry. Meet sports celebrities. Make sports anchor, play-by-play, and reporting videos. Host your own sports talk radio and PTI style shows. Participate in our famous camp trivia contest, and much more. Day/Overnight Options are available. For more information visit playbyplaycamps.com, check us out on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram @playbyplaycamps or call 800.319.0884.
NIU STEAM Camps
Join us for an in-person summer adventure. Day and residential camps for aspiring scientists, engineers and creators are back on the campuses of Northern Illinois University. Explore engineering, health sciences, video game design, robotics, drones, filmmaking, food science and other STEAM topics. Build friendships, work in teams and develop your creativity as you complete open-ended creative challenges. Day and residential camps for grades 2-12. www.go.niu.edu/STEAMCamps22, firstname.lastname@example.org 815-753-8554.
University of Illinois
University of Illinois, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics has committed itself to the development of well-rounded summer sport camps for boys and girls. Young athletes have the opportunity to learn more about their sport, improve their skills, create new friendships and have fun at the same time. Campers receive excellent coaching, experience campus life, and meet athletes from a variety of backgrounds. To learn more about specific camp offering go to fightingillini.com/camps.
Quarry Camps at The Forge
Quarry Camps at The Forge: Lemont Quarries help young adventurers get outdoors and stay active while learning. Our one-week sessions foster personal growth with a variety of fun, safe, educational, recreational, and group activities – all outdoors! Kids will rock climb, traverse our ropes course, zipline, mountain bike, kayak, learn about conservation, learn through art & STEM-based activities, and so much more! Learn more at www.forgeparks.com/summer-camps.
Camp Naper at Naper Settlement
Calling all parents of adventurers in grades 1-8! Register your child for a summer full of learning and exploration at Naper Settlement’s Camp Naper this June-August. Utilizing Naper Settlement’s beautiful 13-acre museum campus as their learning laboratory, campers will go on adventures in history, art, science, and more! Whether learning the science behind their favorite magic trick or building their own box city with the help of a local construction firm, each of our 16 unique, themed day camps provide an immersive learning experience that will capture your child’s imagination, while strengthening their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. To learn more or register your child for one of our 3-, 4- or 5-day camps, please visit www.NaperSettlement.org/CampNaper.
Started in 2015, “Shining Stars” is a camp where children can enjoy baseball and softball as they learn basic skills in a fun, creative, and Christian environment. Though the camp is open to children of all skill levels, it is specifically targeted toward children who have had limited or no organized baseball experience. The centerpiece and differentiator of this camp over and above any other baseball / softball camp is sharing and helping kids grow in Christ Jesus. Hamilton Park, Palatine, IL (1037 N. Smith St.) www.immanuelpalatine.org/shiningstars.
Camp Commotion is a fun, exciting, and safe day camp for kids entering 1st-6th grade. Whether you need a full-time summer care option for your kids, or they want a incredible week of summer camp experience, Camp Commotion is the place to be! Camp is offered at Christ Community Church in two locations: St. Charles and DeKalb. Only $160 per child per week! Register now at www.campcommotion.org.
Good Times Summer Day Camp
Good Times Summer Day Camp offers campers an exciting and active program for children ages 4-14. Each week is filled with incredible field trips, many hours of swimming, various sports, exciting guests, challenging crafts, special events, and a theme based cookout. We accommodate parent’s busy schedules by offering extended hours from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at no extra charge. Schedules are flexible – come only the days you want. Convenient locations in Libertyville, Wheeling, Deerfield, & Glenview. Busing available in some areas. For more information, please call 847-680-4884 or visit www.goodtimesdaycamp.com.
Camp SEASPAR: Camps Specially Designed for People with Disabilities
SEASPAR’s summer day camps are the perfect place for kids, teens, and young adults with disabilities ages 3–22 to spend their summer enjoying creative, social, and physical activities as well as fun community outings! For more information on day camps and other programs for children and young adults, call SEASPAR at 630.960.7600 or visit SEASPAR.org.
Swing Into Spring…
(Updated for 3/24 to 3/30)
Think Spring Break in Kenosha, WI! You’ll find world-class museums to explore, and at least a half dozen places to create your own art as a family. History buffs will love The Civil War Museum and Kenosha History Center. Your crew will adore painting their own pottery or taking a guided paint class together. From Mammoths and Dinosaurs to jewelry making and splatter paint, the adventures are endless north of the border. For more info go to www.visitkenosha.com
Dine in Naperville
Naperville is your next food destination! With over 300 restaurants to choose from, there’s no craving you can’t satisfy in Naperville. From fine dining to family friendly to fun and action-packed entertainment, there’s something for every occasion. Quick bites can be found across the city, including those big names you know and love. Try something new in one of Naperville’s unique restaurants. Looking for entertainment as well as amazing food? Naperville has plenty of options for entertainment-filled dining experiences! Go to DineNaperville.com to find a comprehensive list of all Naperville eateries and more!
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com.
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
Need a change of scenery? Visit Creek Bend Nature Center located at LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve in St. Charles. There’s plenty to see and do – both inside and out! Learn all about oaks. See what the Fox River could look like below the surface. View bison specimens in our prairie wild exhibit. Enjoy scavenger hunts, hikes and scheduled nature programs. At Creek Bend Nature Center, there are things to explore galore! Admission is always free.
X-Golf Orland Park
X-Golf Orland Park is an 8,000 sq. foot facility offering eight state-of-the-art, indoor golf simulators bays using cameras, infrared lasers, impact sensors and advanced gaming software. We provide families a true-feel golf experience without battling the outdoor elements. Kids learn golf better in small doses. The auto-tee system will help you focus on the game. Hit the practice range or chose a par-3 setting to make the experience enjoyable for your young golfer. 15876 S. LaGrange Rd., Orland Park, IL 60462. (708) 966-0486. www.xgolforlandpark.com
Spring in Naperville
Naperville in the springtime is an epicenter of fun adventures. Springtime beauty is scattered across the city in the parks, the Riverwalk, and eclectic Downtown. Go to VisitNaperville.com to find more information on upcoming spring events in the city like concerts, art fairs, and more. You can also find a full list of all our amazing parks, making it easy to enjoy nature this spring. Naperville is your next springtime destination for fun in the sun!
Sonny Acres Farm
Spring has sprung at Sonny Acres! Visit the West Chicago farm beginning in May for an unmatched selection of fresh flowers and herbs, plants, soil and more just in time for planting season. Dates and hours of operation are listed at sonnyacres.com. A staple in the community for countless decades, Sonny Acres Farm offers endless opportunities for family fun, local shopping and event space for one-of-a-kind gatherings of any size. Boasting 22 acres of space, Sonny Acres is the ideal, customizable destination for weddings, corporate events, family gatherings and other special occasions. For an extra “wow factor” at your next event, treat your guests to some of the farm’s unique seasonal offerings, including access to amusement rides, petting zoo, hayrides around the property and much more. 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL 60185. (630) 231-3859. www.sonnyacresfarm.com
St. Charles Park District
Hickory Knolls Discovery Center features beautiful views and live animal displays including state-endangered Blandings’ turtles along with educational, nature-themed activities for all ages. Guests may experience up close interaction with many reptiles. Explore scenic habitats along 3+ miles of natural area trails to discover unique flora and fauna. Unique birthday parties and facility rentals available. Free admission. 3795 Campton Hills Road, St. Charles IL. stcnature.org
Downtown Aurora Events
Enjoy springtime in downtown Aurora. See public art, visit family-friendly museums, stop by local coffee shops, and enjoy free events. Egg Hunt on the Island is a downtown-wide egg hunt from 1 to 3 p.m. on April 9. Experience art, music, and more at monthly First Fridays events with more than two dozen venues open with activities for all ages. May 6 is the annual Food Truck Festival. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org.
Lake Geneva Women’s Weekend
Lake Geneva Women’s Weekend is back with a ROAR! May 13-15. Enjoy a Roaring 20’s Girls Getaway Weekend in beautiful Lake Geneva Wisconsin with social events workshops, wellness, special hotel rates, shopping, wind & dine. Go to www.LakeGenevaWomensWeekend.com to learn more and register online. Proceed from Women’s Weekend will go to our Philanthropic Fund to help charitable organizations in Greater Walworth county.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
(Updated for 3/24 to 3/30)
James Lumber Center
Continuing its 25th Anniversary celebration, the James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts (JLC) at the College of Lake County welcomes three amazing professional touring events this spring.
- The Magic of Bill Blagg LIVE! Saturday, March 19 at 3 p.m. – Experience the impossible in this interactive, family-friendly show as Blagg and his trademark off-the-cuff personality take the audience on a magical journey they’ll never forget! Tickets $12-$35.
- Hiplet Ballerinas – Sunday, April 24 at 4 p.m. – As seen on “America’s Got Talent,” this incredibly talented dance ensemble based out of the Chicago Multi-Cultural Dance Center incorporates several dance styles into their performances. Tickets $12-$35.
- Eileen Ivers – Sunday, May 8 at 4 p.m. – In this Mother’s Day show, the virtuosic musician and her extraordinary band explore the traditions and progressions of the Celtic fiddle, presenting music and stories that unite us all. Tickets $15-$40.
Please note that masks are required for everyone at the JLC and CLC. Seating in the Mainstage will have reduced capacity to accommodate social distancing. Single and Group tickets are available at the JLC Box Office or by phone at (847) 543-2300. The JLC Box office is open M-F, 12-5 p.m. 19351 W. Washington St., Grayslake www.clcillinois.edu/jlc
The Genesee Theatre
- “Scooby-Doo! And the Lost City of Gold” – 3/27
- “Beyond the Eats” Alton Brown: Live! – 4/2
- LEARN MORE
Fitness/ Race Events…
(Updated for 3/24 to 3/30)
SATURDAY, MARCH 26
- Lakefront 50K George Cheung Memorial Race. Chicago. chicagoultra.org
- Fun Run in Color – Sat., 4/09 at 8:30 AM. 5k Run. Downtown Wheaton. www.wheatonparkdistrict.com/programs/racewheaton
- Fight Hunger 5K/10K Run/Walk – In-Person and Virtual. Sat., April 23 at 8:30 AM. Benefitting Northern IL. Food Bank. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. www.SolveHungerToday.org/FightHunger
- Saw Wee Kee Spring Trail Run – Sat., April 23 at 4 PM. 3-Mile Course. 7350 Sundown Lane, Yorkville. Oswegoland Park District. 630-554-1010. www.RunOswegoland.org
- Amazing Race St. Charles– Sun., 4/24 at 12 PM. Physical & Mental Challenges Race. Pottawatomie Park, St. Charles. www.stcparks.org/events
- Chicken Run 5K & Lil’ Peeps Kids Run – Sat., 4/30. USATF certified, chip timed, Cash Prizes. 5 year Custom Age & Custom Finisher Medals. Geneva, IL. crm.enmotive.com/chicken-run-5K
(Updated for 3/24 to 3/30)
FRIDAY, MARCH 25
- ADULTS Delightful Details – Learn about Mayslake Hall’s early days when Francis S. Peabody lived at the mansion. Hear about two different areas of the Hall, with a short tour of each. 18+. Register. 10AM-12PM. Mayslake. Dupageforest.org
- ADULT Watch out for Woodcocks – Walk with a birding expert on a search for amazing mating displays of the American Woodcock. 18+. 12:30-2PM. West Chicago Prairie. Dupageforest.org
- PRETEEN Pokemon and Pizza – Pokemon fans come trade your cards, enjoy some pizza and play Pokemon Go in our gymnasium. Bring your own cards and a device with Pokemon Go app. 6-8PM. CORE Gymnasium. Lemont. Lemontparkdistrict.org
- EXHIBIT The Artful Soul of Faust – through April 16. The legendary Fause is told in 14 large cameos carved by Dieter and Andreas Roth in Germany. Open during regular museum hours. The Lizzadro Museum is the first to premiere this exhibit in the United States. Oak Brook. Lizzadromuseum.org
- EXHIBIT Human Nature – Open through March 2023. Foster your love of trees and plants, while enjoying the outdoors, as you explore large-scale sculptures created by South African artist Daniel Popper. Included with Arboretum admission. Advance reservations required. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org
- EXHIBIT https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/meet-albert-kunickis-northwestern-s-one-handed-running-back-commit – Adler Planetarium opens March 4 after 2yr. hiatus. Chicago. adlerplanetarium.org
- EXHIBIT People of the Prairie: 12,000 Years in DuPage County – Through June 5. Gain an understanding about the Native people who lived here from an archeological perspective. Free. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Art of the Brick – A visual playground for the young and young at heart, built with Legos. Runs through Sept. 5 at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. msi chicago.org.
- EXHIBIT Houses of Tomorrow – This exciting exhibit runs through the end of May and examines sustainability and solar innovations for modern homes. Elmhurst. Elmhurstartmuseum.org.
- OUTDOOR The Forge: Lemont Quarries – Forgefire Globe Dining is an unforgettable dining experience in a climate-controlled globe. Keep warm with heated table, blankets, and extraordinary food. Every Friday, Saturdays and Sundays in March. forgeparks.com/adventure-dining.
- EXHIBIT By All Accounts: The Story of Elmhurst – ONGOING. Experience Elmhurst and it’s 165 year history through this award-winning exhibit. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org
- FAMILY Naper Settlement – Visit the nationally accredited outdoor living history museum set on 13 magnificent acres in the heart of Naperville. Home to thirty-one historical structures dating back as early as the 1830s. Featuring exhibits, special events, educational programming and more. For days and times go to napersettlement.org.
- KIDS Hands on Learning – Join DuPage Children’s Museum for Arts & Maker programming which provides children with the materials, tools, inspiration, and opportunities for collaboration that truly lets their imaginations soar. Naperville. For days and times visit dupagechildrens.org
SATURDAY, MARCH 26
- FAMILY Archery – Whether new to the sport or looking for a refresher, join us to learn safety tips, proper shooting techniques, and basic skills. 10-11:30AM. Equipment provided. Ages 8+. Blackwell. Dupageforest.org
MONDAY, MARCH 28
- FAMLY Meet an Archeologist – Meet Archeologist Sara Pfannekuche to learn about this fascinating profession. Explore People of the Prairie exhibit and try activities, including a “dig”. Drop in 11AM-3PM. Elmhurst History Museum. Elmhurst. Elmhursthistory.org
TUESDAY, MARCH 29
- PRETEEN Dodgeball and Pizza – Drop off your tween and pick up after a night of dodgeball and pizza. Ages 9-12. 6-8PM. CORE Gymnasium. Lemont. Lemontparkdistrict.org
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS