WEEKEND+ for Thursday 4/21 to Wednesday 4/27.
THIS WEEK: Swing Into Spring | Summer Camps. It’s Sign-Up Time | 2022 Annual Race Guide | Birthday Party Lessons Learned | On Stage | Building Resiliency in Children
Swing Into Spring…
(Updated for 4/21 to 4/27)
Dine in Naperville
Naperville is your next food destination! With over 300 restaurants to choose from, there’s no craving you can’t satisfy in Naperville. From fine dining to family friendly to fun and action-packed entertainment, there’s something for every occasion. Quick bites can be found across the city, including those big names you know and love. Try something new in one of Naperville’s unique restaurants. Looking for entertainment as well as amazing food? Naperville has plenty of options for entertainment-filled dining experiences! Go to DineNaperville.com to find a comprehensive list of all Naperville eateries and more!
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
X-Golf Orland Park
X-Golf Orland Park is an 8,000 sq. foot facility offering eight state-of-the-art, indoor golf simulators bays using cameras, infrared lasers, impact sensors and advanced gaming software. We provide families a true-feel golf experience without battling the outdoor elements. Kids learn golf better in small doses. The auto-tee system will help you focus on the game. Hit the practice range or chose a par-3 setting to make the experience enjoyable for your young golfer. 15876 S. LaGrange Rd., Orland Park, IL 60462. (708) 966-0486. www.xgolforlandpark.com
Spring in Naperville
Naperville in the springtime is an epicenter of fun adventures. Springtime beauty is scattered across the city in the parks, the Riverwalk, and eclectic Downtown. Go to VisitNaperville.com to find more information on upcoming spring events in the city like concerts, art fairs, and more. You can also find a full list of all our amazing parks, making it easy to enjoy nature this spring. Naperville is your next springtime destination for fun in the sun!
Sonny Acres Farm
Spring has sprung at Sonny Acres! Visit the West Chicago farm beginning in May for an unmatched selection of fresh flowers and herbs, plants, soil and more just in time for planting season. Dates and hours of operation are listed at sonnyacres.com. A staple in the community for countless decades, Sonny Acres Farm offers endless opportunities for family fun, local shopping and event space for one-of-a-kind gatherings of any size. Boasting 22 acres of space, Sonny Acres is the ideal, customizable destination for weddings, corporate events, family gatherings and other special occasions. For an extra “wow factor” at your next event, treat your guests to some of the farm’s unique seasonal offerings, including access to amusement rides, petting zoo, hayrides around the property and much more. 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL 60185. (630) 231-3859. www.sonnyacresfarm.com
St. Charles Park District
Hickory Knolls Discovery Center features beautiful views and live animal displays including state-endangered Blandings’ turtles along with educational, nature-themed activities for all ages. Guests may experience up close interaction with many reptiles. Explore scenic habitats along 3+ miles of natural area trails to discover unique flora and fauna. Unique birthday parties and facility rentals available. Free admission. 3795 Campton Hills Road, St. Charles IL. stcnature.org
Lake Geneva Women’s Weekend
Lake Geneva Women’s Weekend is back with a ROAR! May 13-15. Enjoy a Roaring 20’s Girls Getaway Weekend in beautiful Lake Geneva Wisconsin with social events workshops, wellness, special hotel rates, shopping, wind & dine. Go to www.LakeGenevaWomensWeekend.com to learn more and register online. Proceed from Women’s Weekend will go to our Philanthropic Fund to help charitable organizations in Greater Walworth county.
Downtown Aurora Events
Enjoy springtime in downtown Aurora. See public art, visit family-friendly museums, stop by local coffee shops, and enjoy free events. Experience art, music, and more at monthly First Fridays events with more than two dozen venues open with activities for all ages. May 6 is the annual Food Truck Festival. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org.
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com.
Forest Preserve District of Kane County
Need a change of scenery? Visit Creek Bend Nature Center located at LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve in St. Charles. There’s plenty to see and do – both inside and out! Learn all about oaks. See what the Fox River could look like below the surface. View bison specimens in our prairie wild exhibit. Enjoy scavenger hunts, hikes and scheduled nature programs. At Creek Bend Nature Center, there are things to explore galore! Admission is always free.
Think Spring Break in Kenosha, WI! You’ll find world-class museums to explore, and at least a half dozen places to create your own art as a family. History buffs will love The Civil War Museum and Kenosha History Center. Your crew will adore painting their own pottery or taking a guided paint class together. From Mammoths and Dinosaurs to jewelry making and splatter paint, the adventures are endless north of the border. For more info go to www.visitkenosha.com
Summer Camps. It’s Sign-Up Time…
(Updated for 4/21 to 4/27)
University of Illinois
University of Illinois, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics has committed itself to the development of well-rounded summer sport camps for boys and girls. Young athletes have the opportunity to learn more about their sport, improve their skills, create new friendships and have fun at the same time. Campers receive excellent coaching, experience campus life, and meet athletes from a variety of backgrounds. To learn more about specific camp offering go to fightingillini.com/camps.
Quarry Camps at The Forge
Quarry Camps at The Forge: Lemont Quarries help young adventurers get outdoors and stay active while learning. Our one-week sessions foster personal growth with a variety of fun, safe, educational, recreational, and group activities – all outdoors! Kids will rock climb, traverse our ropes course, zipline, mountain bike, kayak, learn about conservation, learn through art & STEM-based activities, and so much more! Learn more at www.forgeparks.com/summer-camps.
Camp Naper at Naper Settlement
Calling all parents of adventurers in grades 1-8! Register your child for a summer full of learning and exploration at Naper Settlement’s Camp Naper this June-August. Utilizing Naper Settlement’s beautiful 13-acre museum campus as their learning laboratory, campers will go on adventures in history, art, science, and more! Whether learning the science behind their favorite magic trick or building their own box city with the help of a local construction firm, each of our 16 unique, themed day camps provide an immersive learning experience that will capture your child’s imagination, while strengthening their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. To learn more or register your child for one of our 3-, 4- or 5-day camps, please visit www.NaperSettlement.org/CampNaper.
Started in 2015, “Shining Stars” is a camp where children can enjoy baseball and softball as they learn basic skills in a fun, creative, and Christian environment. Though the camp is open to children of all skill levels, it is specifically targeted toward children who have had limited or no organized baseball experience. The centerpiece and differentiator of this camp over and above any other baseball / softball camp is sharing and helping kids grow in Christ Jesus. Hamilton Park, Palatine, IL (1037 N. Smith St.) www.immanuelpalatine.org/shiningstars.
Good Times Summer Day Camp
Good Times Summer Day Camp offers campers an exciting and active program for children ages 4-14. Each week is filled with incredible field trips, many hours of swimming, various sports, exciting guests, challenging crafts, special events, and a theme based cookout. We accommodate parent’s busy schedules by offering extended hours from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at no extra charge. Schedules are flexible – come only the days you want. Convenient locations in Libertyville, Wheeling, Deerfield, & Glenview. Busing available in some areas. For more information, please call 847-680-4884 or visit www.goodtimesdaycamp.com.
Camp SEASPAR: Camps Specially Designed for People with Disabilities
SEASPAR’s summer day camps are the perfect place for kids, teens, and young adults with disabilities ages 3–22 to spend their summer enjoying creative, social, and physical activities as well as fun community outings! For more information on day camps and other programs for children and young adults, call SEASPAR at 630.960.7600 or visit SEASPAR.org.
Downers Grove Park District Summer Camps
Downers Grove Park District summer camps offer nearly 100 adventures where kids will make memories that will last a lifetime! Check out action-packed sport camps, teen trips, traditional day camps and our early childhood camps. Unique specialty camps let kids delve into science, robotics, cooking, visual and cultural arts. Campers can take a swing at our golf camps, discover the great outdoors with nature camps or explore their historical side at one of our museum camps. Before and after care is available for full-day camps. For more info go to www.dgparks.org/summercamps.
Rock ‘n’ Kids!
In-person and virtual music, movement and imagination classes available for 1-6 years at park districts in Chicagoland! Tot Rock, Kid Rock and Rockin’ at Home programs are Interactive and educational, with each class including songs and rhymes, basic dance steps and movements, fine and gross motor skills, rhythm instruments and movement props, imaginative play, socialization and fun! Sing, dance, and play the Rock ‘n’ Kids way! We have been having fun with music for 27 years! Get more information at www.rockitkids.com.
Camp Commotion is a fun, exciting, and safe day camp for kids entering 1st-6th grade. Whether you need a full-time summer care option for your kids, or they want a incredible week of summer camp experience, Camp Commotion is the place to be! Camp is offered at Christ Community Church in two locations: St. Charles and DeKalb. Only $160 per child per week! Register now at www.campcommotion.org.
Great Lakes Volleyball Center
Looking for a summer volleyball camp for your son or daughter ages Pre-K through 12th grade? The Great Lakes Center is located at 579 N. Oakhurst Drive, Aurora, IL. 60502 will be running camps in late June through the first week of August. You do not want to miss our World Class Training with “America’s #1 Summer Volleyball Camp Program” Don’t forget to ask about our site camps where we come to you! For more information call 630-898-6400 or visit www.greatlakescenter.com/camps / FB: Sports Performance Volleyball
Sports Broadcasting Camp
The Sports Broadcasting Camp returns to Skokie July 11-15, 2022. Boys and girls ages 10-18 will have an opportunity to learn from the pros in the sports broadcasting industry. Meet sports celebrities. Make sports anchor, play-by-play, and reporting videos. Host your own sports talk radio and PTI style shows. Participate in our famous camp trivia contest, and much more. Day/Overnight Options are available. For more information visit playbyplaycamps.com, check us out on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram @playbyplaycamps or call 800.319.0884.
NIU STEAM Camps
Join us for an in-person summer adventure. Day and residential camps for aspiring scientists, engineers and creators are back on the campuses of Northern Illinois University. Explore engineering, health sciences, video game design, robotics, drones, filmmaking, food science and other STEAM topics. Build friendships, work in teams and develop your creativity as you complete open-ended creative challenges. Day and residential camps for grades 2-12. www.go.niu.edu/STEAMCamps22, firstname.lastname@example.org 815-753-8554.
(Updated for 4/21 to 4/27)
James Lumber Center
- Hiplet Ballerinas – Sunday, April 24 at 4 p.m. – As seen on “America’s Got Talent,” this incredibly talented dance ensemble based out of the Chicago Multi-Cultural Dance Center incorporates several dance styles into their performances. Tickets $12-$35.
- Eileen Ivers – Sunday, May 8 at 4 p.m. – In this Mother’s Day show, the virtuosic musician and her extraordinary band explore the traditions and progressions of the Celtic fiddle, presenting music and stories that unite us all. Tickets $15-$40.
Please note that masks are required for everyone at the JLC and CLC. Seating in the Mainstage will have reduced capacity to accommodate social distancing. Single and Group tickets are available at the JLC Box Office or by phone at (847) 543-2300. The JLC Box office is open M-F, 12-5 p.m. 19351 W. Washington St., Grayslake www.clcillinois.edu/jlc
Fitness/ Race Events…
(Updated for 4/21 to 4/27)
SATURDAY, APRIL 23
SUNDAY, APRIL 24
Amazing Race St. Charles– Sun., 4/24 at 12 PM. Physical & Mental Challenges Race. Pottawatomie Park, St. Charles. www.stcparks.org/events
- Chicken Run 5K & Lil’ Peeps Kids Run – Sat., 4/30. USATF certified, chip timed, Cash Prizes. 5 year Custom Age & Custom Finisher Medals. Geneva, IL. crm.enmotive.com/chicken-run-5K
- Walk for Wellness House – 3K Walk/5K Run. Sun., May 1. Benefitting Programs for People Affected by Cancer At Wellness House in Hinsdale, IL or Walk Your Way! 630-654-5112. www.Walk.wellnesshouse.org
- Makin’s Strides for Strays Walkathon – Benefitting A.D.O.P.T. Pet Shelter. www.adoptpetshelter.org/news
- Walk for Wellness House – Sat., 5/7 at 12 PM. Land & Water Activities Race. Pottawatomie Park, St. Charles. www.stcparks.org/events
- Pink 5K Run/Walk – Sat., 5/7 at 8 AM. Benefits Hinsdale Hospital Foundation. Oak Brook Park District, 1450 Forest Gate Rd. Oak Brook. 630-990-4233. www.obparks.org/pink5k
- Lemont Quarryman Challenge – 5K & 10 Mile Road Race. Sat., May 7: 7:30 AM (10 Mile); 8AM (5K). Historic Downtown Lemont. www.quarrymanchallenge.com
- Walk the Walk for Mental Health – Sun., 5/15 at 8:30 AM. 1 mile walk to support equitable mental health services. The Community House, Hinsdale, IL. www.thecommunityhouse.org
- Walk to Cure Arthritis – 5k Walk. Sat., 5/21 at 9 AM. Benefits the Arthritis Foundation, Old School Forest Preserve, Libertyville. www.walktocurearthritis.org/lakecountyil
- Western Springs 45th Annual Tower Trot – 10K, 5K, & Fun Run, plus Double Run (10K & 5K). Sat. 5/28 at 8:30 AM. Benefits Healing Hearts for Ashley Grand Avenue Community Center, 4211 Grand Avenue, Western Springs. 708-246-9070. www.wsprings.com/towertrot
(Updated for 4/21 to 4/27)
THURSDAY, APRIL 21
- SENIORS Active Adult Bunco Parties – Join us for a Bunco party with prizes. A light lunch will also be served. Register. 11:30AM-2:30PM. Plainfield Township Community Center. Plfdparks.org
FRIDAY, APRIL 21
- EXHIBIT The Artful Soul of Faust – through April 16. The legendary Fause is told in 14 large cameos carved by Dieter and Andreas Roth in Germany. Open during regular museum hours. The Lizzadro Museum is the first to premiere this exhibit in the United States. Oak Brook. Lizzadromuseum.org
- EXHIBIT Human Nature – Open through March 2023. Foster your love of trees and plants, while enjoying the outdoors, as you explore large-scale sculptures created by South African artist Daniel Popper. Included with Arboretum admission. Advance reservations required. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org
- EXHIBIT https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/meet-albert-kunickis-northwestern-s-one-handed-running-back-commit – Adler Planetarium opens March 4 after 2yr. hiatus. Chicago. adlerplanetarium.org
- EXHIBIT People of the Prairie: 12,000 Years in DuPage County – Through June 5. Gain an understanding about the Native people who lived here from an archeological perspective. Free. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Art of the Brick – A visual playground for the young and young at heart, built with Legos. Runs through Sept. 5 at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. msi chicago.org.
- EXHIBIT Houses of Tomorrow – This exciting exhibit runs through the end of May and examines sustainability and solar innovations for modern homes. Elmhurst. Elmhurstartmuseum.org.
- FLORAL Spring Flower Show at Wilder Park – Opens April 9 through April 24. The Conservatory is open daily 8AM-6PM. Elmhurst. Epd.org
- EXHIBIT By All Accounts: The Story of Elmhurst – ONGOING. Experience Elmhurst and it’s 165 year history through this award-winning exhibit. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. elmhursthistory.org
- FAMILY Naper Settlement – Visit the nationally accredited outdoor living history museum set on 13 magnificent acres in the heart of Naperville. Home to thirty-one historical structures dating back as early as the 1830s. Featuring exhibits, special events, educational programming and more. For days and times go to napersettlement.org.
- KIDS Hands on Learning – Join DuPage Children’s Museum for Arts & Maker programming which provides children with the materials, tools, inspiration, and opportunities for collaboration that truly lets their imaginations soar. Naperville. For days and times visit dupagechildrens.org
SATURDAY, APRIL 23
- ADULTS Road Rally – Gather your team for a scavenger hunt on wheels. We will provide the clues that will challenge you mentally, physically and test your teamwork skills. Register early. 3PM. Lisle. Lisleparkdistrict.org/specialevents
- EDUCATE Earth Day Summit – Live presentations from state and local leaders, workshops and demos, videos and music presentations to inspire action. Check back for times. The Forge. Lemont. Theforge.gives
- FAMILY Spring Fishing Derby – bring your bait, bucket and fishing pole to Van Horn Woods Pond for a fishing derby with prizes. 9-10:30AM. Dress appropriately, register. Plainfield. Plfdparks.org
- CRAFTS Art and Market Aurora – Back at Society 57 Saturdays through the end of April. Featuring food and artisan vendors, Free entry. 9AM-12PM. Auroradowntown.org
- KIDS Tiny Great Performances Series – Saturdays in March and April features an integration of play performances. Included with museum admission. Performance times vary. DuPage Children’s Museum, Naperville. Dupagechildrens.org
SUNDAY, APRIL 24
- FAMILY Earth Day – Celebrate Earth Day with the whole family with a nature walk. Learn about Wheeling’s wildlife, view live animals up close, plant seeds in our butterfly garden. 11AM-1PM. Wheeling. Wheelingparkdistrict.com
- OUTDOORS Earth Day – Celebrate Earth Day with a nature walk, view animals up close and plant seeds in the butterfly garden. Free. 11AM-1PM. Heritage Park Performance Pavilion. Wheeling. Wheelingparkdistrict.com
- 6 Birthday Parties Life Lessons Learned
- Building Resiliency in Children
- Dine Out
- ANNUAL Senior Focus + Resources
- ANNUAL 2022 Fitness Race Guide
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS