WEEKEND+ for Thursday 5/4 to Wednesday 5/10.
THIS WEEK: Chicagoland Events | Fairs and Festivals | Fitness / Charity Race Events | Summer Fun Starts Here | On Stage | And More!
NEW ISSUE! Go to Suburban Family Magazine
This week’s Chicagoland Area Events…
THURSDAY, MAY 4
- FAMILY Family Trivia Night – Test your knowledge on Lake County, past and present with Trivia
questions for the whole family. Dunn Museum. 6-7PM. Libertyville. Lcfpd.org
- FAMILY Characters on Main – Meet and greet with characters from a galaxy far, far away. 6:30AM-8PM. Naperville. Weather permitting. Waterstreetnaperville.com
- PLANTS Weed Ladies Sales – May 3-5. 10AM-3PM. Naper Settlement presents their annual plant and flower sale. Naperville. Napersettlement.org
FRIDAY, MAY 5
- FOOD Food Truck Festival – 30 food trucks along Benton Street. Beer garden. Coincides with Aurora’s First Fridays. 5-9PM. Downtown Aurora. Auroradowntown.org
- FUNDRAISER Ignite Passion – The Art Center Highland Park announces its Spring Benefit hosted by NBC’s Kye Martin. 7PM. Buy tickets online. Highland Park. Theartcenterhp.org
- FUNDRAISER Jazz in the Gallery – Enjoy margaritas and music while supporting art accessibility in Fox Valley. Cash bar and a raffle drawing. Door Open at 6:30PM. Purchase Tickets at Eventbrite.com Batavia
- MOVIE The Namesake – No reservations needed for a screening of The Namesake at the Elmhurst Public Library. 2PM. Elmhurst. Elmhursthistory.org
- SHOW 50th Annual Ice Show: Blades of Gold – Winnetka Ice Arena Skating School’s annual recital. 7PM. Purchase tickets in advance. Winnetka. Winpark.org
- TWEENS Tween Night – Sports, games, activities and pizza. Ages 8-12. 6-9PM. Ackerman SFC. Glen Ellyn. Geparks.org
- FAMILY First Fridays –Several venues will be open downtown with art, music and more. 5 PM-Midnight. FREE. Thru Dec. Visit auroradowntown.org
- PLANTS Weed Ladies Sales – May 3-5. 10AM-3PM. Naper Settlement presents their annual plant and flower sale. Naperville. Napersettlement.org
- ACCESSIBLE Accessible Birding – Making birdwatching available to all. Slower pace and hard surfaces to accommodate wheelchairs and walking aids. 11AM. Cantigny Park. Cantigny.org
- ART Art on the Mart – The 30-minute program of projections will be shown nightly at 8:30 and 9:00 p.m. thru May 14. artonthemart.com
- EXHIBIT Inspiration Faberge: Gemstone Carving – Through June 18. Features carvings of birds, animals and flowers in Germany and Russia. Lizzadro Museum. Oak Brook. Lizzadromuseum.org
- EXHIBIT Ready, Set, Go! Lake County’s Racing History – Inspired by local racing artifacts, the exhibit examines boat, motor and foot racing in Lake County. Bess Bower Dunn Museum of Lake County. Through 9/5. Libertyville. Lcfpd.org
- EXHIBIT Superheroes in Wilder Park – Features life-sized sculptures by area artists on view from 5/26-7/31. Elmhurstartmuseum.org
- NATURE Spring Bird Walk – May is the month for songbird migration. Bring binoculars to Independence Grove for a walk with a skilled birder. 7-9AM. Libertyville. lcfpd.org
SATURDAY, MAY 6
- ART Art in Wilder Park – Local art exhibitors, musical acts, food vendors and kids’ court. 10AM-5PM. Elmhurst. Elmhurstartmuseum.org
- CONCERT Handbell Concert – Chicago Bronze English Handbell Ensemble performs at St. Luke’s Lutheran Church. 4PM. Park Ridge. Chicagobronze.org
- EXHIBIT Photographic Society Annual Exhibit – Included with timed entry at the Morton Arboretum. Nature themed photographs on display with some items for sale. Lisle. Mortonarb.org
- FAMILY Kid Fest – Family fun at Citizen’s Park. Free kites to fly, obstacle course, activity stations, and refreshments for purchase. Free. 11AM-3PM. Barrington. Barringtonparkdistrict.org
- FAMILY Geek Fest – Wheaton Public Library celebrates free comic book day on the main floor. Costumes encouraged. 10AM-2PM. Register. Wheaton. Wheatonlibrary.org
- FOOD Naperville Food Truck Fest – 25+ of Chicagoland’s best food trucks and beer garden, DJ, and more. 12-7PM. Naper Settlement. Naperville. Eventbrite.com
- FAMILY Touch-a-Truck – Kids’ chance to see and touch their favorite big trucks and take pics. Raffles. 10AM-12PM. Maryknoll Park. Glen Ellyn. Geparks.org
- LECTURE Secret Messages in Jade – Yvonne Wolf deciphers messages hidden in the museums Jade collection. 2-3PM. Lizzadro Museum. Oak Brook. Register. lizzadromuseum.org
- OUTDOOR Woodland Family Hikes: Trees in Bloom – 11AM-12PM or 1-2PM. A guided, family-paced hike through the Morton Arboretum. Lisle. Mortonarb.org
SUNDAY, MAY 7
- CONCERT Handbell Concert – Chicago Bronze English Handbell Ensemble performs at First Congregational Church. 4PM. West Dundee. Chicagobronze.org
- CONCERT Take Note Spring Concert – Singers perform songs from your favorite Broadway shows. 3PM. Lisle Senior High School. Lisle. Lisleparkdistrict.org
- FAMILY Modified Public Skate – Dedicated time with less crowds and no music. Intended for families with disabilities, on the autism spectrum or sensory issues. Tripahn Center and Ice Arena. Hoffman Estates. Heparks.org
- NATURE Spring Festival – Celebrate springtime at Thatcher Woods Forest Preserve with guided walks and interactive programs. 12-3PM. River Forest. Fpdcc.com
- NATURE Forest Therapy Walk with Tea Ceremony – Reconnect with nature during this mindful walk with a certified Forest Therapy Guide. 1-3PM. Knock Knolls Park, Naperville. Napervilleparks.org
- OUTDOOR Flying for Kids – Partnering with Chicago Kite to fly kits throughout the park. Bring your own or buy one onsite. 12-4PM. Fabbrini Park, Hoffman Estates. Heparks.org
- OUTDOORS Tails of the Trails – Bring your dog to the Morton Arboretum and see the Pet Expo and dog-oriented shopping. During park hours, Lisle. Mortonarb.org
- ART Bloomingdale Artists Association Exhibit and Reception – Featuring a diversity of talent and artistic media. Bloomingdale Park District Museum. May 7 through June 4. Contact Lois firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Villageofbloomingdale.org
TUESDAY, MAY 9
- CONCERT Picosa at DePaul University – Hear Picosa’s final programs of the season. 7PM. DePaul University, Chicago. For program and ticket information, see picosamusic.com
- EDUCATIONAL ONLINE Demystifying Senior Living: An Informative and Educational Program for Older Adults and Those Who Care for Them – Organized by the North Suburban YMCA. Leaders from CJE SeniorLife share their information and experience. 11AM-12PM. Nymca.org
WEDNESDAY, MAY 10
- SENIORS Active Adults Bingo at the CORE – Register in advance for free Bingo at the CORE. 1-2PM. lemontparkdistrict.org
This week’s Fair’s and Festival’s…
- Chicago Critics Film Festival – 5/5-11. Acclaimed films plus appearances by directors and stars. Music Box Theatre, Chicago. chicagocriticsfilmfestival.com
- Wine on the Fox Fest – 5/6-7. Entertainment, food and premier wine tasting. Hudson Crossing Park, Oswego. gooswego.org.
- Tulip Time Festival – 5/6-14. Hundreds of tulips, entertainment, events and activities. Holland, MI tuliptime.com
- North Shore Jazz and Music Festival – 5/7. Carnival games, cake walk, food trucks. MYAC Center. Highwood. Mya.org
Upcoming Fair’s and Festival’s…
Blooming Fest | May 20 – 9AM-3PM. Downtown garden festival, includes West Chicago Garden Club’s Annual Plant Sale along with over 50 gardens, craft vendors, kidZone, live music, food vendors and more! Downtown West Chicago. www.westchicago.org/Blooming-fest
Fairs and Festivals (May ~ June)
This week’s Fitness / Charity Race Events…
SATURDAY, MAY 6
- Sprint 2 Spring 5k Run/Walk. Hanover Township. Sprint2spring.com
- Cinco De Miler. Chicago. Venturesendurance.enmotive.com
- A Safe Place EmpoweRun 5K Run/Walk. Libertyville. asafeplaceforhelp.org
SUNDAY, MAY 7
- Great Western Half Marathon and 10k. St. Charles. Foxrivertrailrunners.org
- Chicagoland Spring Half Marathon. Schaumburg. allcommunityevents.com
- Walk for Wellness House. Hinsdale. wellnesshouse.org
- Bob Blazer Run for the Arts. Crystal Lake. Rauecenter.org
Upcoming Fitness/Charity Races…
Western Springs 46th Annual Tower Trot – Sat. 5/27 8:30 AM. 10K, 5K, & Fun Run, plus Double Run (10K & 5K). Benefits Healing Hearts for Ashley. Grand Avenue Community Center, 4211 Grand Avenue, Western Springs. 708-246-9070. www.wsprings.com/towertrot
Fitness / Charity (May ~ June)
Summer Fun Starts Here…
No matter your age, the summer season has wonderful things to partake in. We’ve gathered many great activities in this issue to add to your bucket list. The summer fun starts here…
Celebrate the summer in Tinley Park ~ Stock up on the sunscreen now, because Tinley Park is bringing the fun this summer! Those who love live concerts will want to come to Music in the Plaza, and classic car aficionados won’t want to miss Cruise Nights. Add in the Block Party and the Independence Day Celebration in July, the Farmers Market on Saturdays, the ongoing Benches on the Avenue, and the Art and Garden Market in May, and summer fun is a sure thing here in Tinley Park! www.TinleyPark.org/SpecialEvents
Mountain View Adventure Center, Des Plaines Park District ~ Open daily, our 18-hole mini-golf course is fun for all ages! Practice your swing at our 6 batting cages. Skate Park for boards, bikes and blades. Group reservations are available. 510 E. Algonquin Road, Des Plaines, IL. 847-391-5733. www.DPParks.org
Lake Park Golf Course & Marina, Des Plaines Park District ~ This sporty 18-hole, par-3 has beautiful greens and strategically placed bunkers, all set around picturesque Lake Opeka. At the north end of the beautiful 73-acre Lake Park, the marina offers paddle boat, kayak, and swan boat rentals, and special events all season. 1015 Howard Avenue, Des Plaines, IL. 847-391-5730. www.DPParks.org | Golf Course | Marina
Kane County Cougars ~ HOME OPENER THURSDAY, MAY 11. There’s something special for everyone at a Cougars game! Bring the entire family and join the best fans in baseball as the Kane County Cougars play their fifty-game home schedule at beautiful Northwestern Medicine Field in Geneva. Since 1991, the Cougars have been at the forefront of affordable family-fun, great food and fireworks. Every Cougars game is packed with exciting baseball action and between inning on-field events and contests. Select games feature post-game fireworks and free pre-game concerts in the music garden. And, the youngsters will love the Cougar’s Kid Zone. Visit www.KCCOUGARS.COM for more information or call 630-232-8811.
Fischer Farm Fun ~ Among the oldest remaining homesteads in DuPage County, Fischer Farm was established in 1836, and the property is home to three pre-Civil War structures. Through the years, the family-built barns and then a large farm house in 1919. The grounds, open daily dawn-dusk, are home to summer camps, Little Lambs, campfires and campouts and special events. It’s open for volunteers the second Saturday each month as well as for birthdays and special event rentals. www.BvilleParks.org/FischerFarm
Sonny Acres Farm ~ Summer Fun is ON at Sonny Acres! In addition to Spring flowers and outdoor amusements, the farm is proud to present the Sonny Acres Pro Rodeo experience Father’s Day weekend (June 17/18). The weekend will feature Bareback Riding, Steer Wrestling, Saddle Bronc Riding, Girls Breakaway Roping, Cowgirls Barrel Racing, Bull Riding and more. Tickets on sale online now at www.sonnyacres.com. 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL 60185. (630) 231-3859
Reed’s Canoe Trips ~ Reed’s Canoe and Kayak Trips are an ideal recreational activity for groups of any size, from a family adventure to large church, school, or park district outing with an adventure close to home. The three trips we offer range in length from approximately 2 hours to a full 6 hours on the water, and are suitable for either new or experienced canoeists. Since the Kankakee River is located only an hour south of Chicagoland, even our longest trip will fit into a one-day outing! 907 N. Indiana Ave, Rt. 50, Kankakee, IL Call for information or reservations: (815)WE CANOE or visit: www.reedscanoetrips.com
Aurora Downtown ~ Summer fun in Aurora has begun. Enjoy art, live music, and activities for all ages at First Fridays on the first Friday evening of the month (no July). Explore Music and Market on Stolp Avenue every Wednesday from July 12 to Aug. 16. Join the lively Stolp Block Party on Aug. 2. Alley Art Festival returns with fun for the whole family on August 26. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org
Spend the Day in Downtown Lemont ~ Lemont has the most picturesque terrain in Chicago and the best outdoor activities in the Midwest. Bike along the canal to The Forge to zipline through their world-class aerial courses. Grab a beer from Pollyanna, indulge in a pizza from Wooden Paddle, or stop by one of the taverns or shops housed in iconic limestone buildings. Lemont’s signature summer events include Car Shows, Sunset Soiree concerts, and more. Plan your visit at www.lemontdowntown.com.
Volo Museum ~ The world-famous Volo Museum’s 45 exhibits guarantees to have something rare and amazing for everyone including hundreds of rotating classic and modern collector cars, movie/TV vehicles, an indoor dinosaur experience, a carousel hall, ice cream parlor, military museum, Disney Gallery and one of the largest antique malls in the midwest. This spring check out our new Titanic Experience, Hollywood Train Museum, train tours of the property, a mini golf course, animatronic ice age exhibit and an all new party/event space for up to 100 people! Open daily 10a to 5p. Visit www.volofun.com. 27582 Volo Village Road, Volo, IL.
Downtown Naperville Alliance ~ A Great Gift for Moms, Dads, Grads… and Everyone Else On Your List! Downtown Naperville gift cards are accepted at 150+ downtown merchants and make for excellent gifts for anyone on your list! Moms, dads, grads…and don’t forget gifts for teachers and coaches too! Spring is the perfect time to do some shopping for yourself as well. Downtown Naperville has a wonderful mix of locally owned boutiques and big-name stores for your spring shopping adventures! For more information, visit www.downtown naperville.com!
Cavalcade of Planes ~ Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport’s open house event on June 3rd and 4th will include static displays of all types of airplanes, Warbirds, new planes, helicopters, Fly–in, Vietnam re-enactors, and others. The Museum will be open. Various airplanes will be selling rides, including a warbird T-6, and helicopter and open cockpit Stearman. Food & drink throughout including the beer canteen. This is a great family event. Folding chairs blankets allowed. No tents or pets. For more information and online pre-sale tickets go to www.cavalcadeofplanes.com.
Arlington Heights invites you to join us this summer! ~ Discover some of the best boutique shopping in the Chicago area. Live music, theatre, and comedy are all showcased at the intimate Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, including Xanadu running from July 13th through August 19th. Enjoy free, family-friendly live music with the Sounds of Summer concert series. And savor Chicagoland’s best outdoor dining experience with Arlington Alfresco, beginning Friday, April 28th. To learn more, visit www.DiscoverArlington.com!
Pottawatomie Park ~ The 47-acre Pottawatomie Park along the east bank of the Fox River in the heart of downtown St. Charles is a one-stop super fun destination. There’s truly something for everyone, from tennis buffs to golfing duffers, and from people who like to fish to those who swim like fish. In one summer day, you can golf, minigolf, swim, cruise on the river, have a snack, play tennis, sand volleyball, baggo, bocce ball and much more! www.stcparks.org/pottawatomie-park/
Brew Avenue Events ~ Calling all Foodies! We bring the region’s best Food Trucks together at events throughout the suburbs. Join us Brew Avenue Events ~ Calling all Foodies! We bring the region’s best Food Trucks together at events throughout the suburbs. Join us May 6, May 26, & June 10 and June 24 at our festivals in Naperville, North Aurora, Montgomery & Deer Park! Each event has a unique food truck lineup to tempt your taste buds plus vendors, activities, craft beer, music and more! Looking to bring a food truck to your corporate or private event? We are your food truck broker – booking any type of truck is easy with Brew Avenue Events. Visit us at www.brewavenueevents.com for details & festival info. at our festivals in Naperville, North Aurora, Montgomery & Deer Park! Each event has a unique food truck lineup to tempt your taste buds plus vendors, activities, craft beer, music and more! Looking to bring a food truck to your corporate or private event? We are your food truck broker – booking any type of truck is easy with Brew Avenue Events. Visit us at www.brewavenueevents.com for details & festival info.
Camp Local! ~ Forest Preserve District of Kane County campgrounds are open May 1 – October 15. Visit the forest preserves and enjoy a quiet walk, picnic with friends and family, learn about nature, fish, golf, ride, or embark on a camping weekend. Big Rock Campground at Big Rock Forest Preserve, 46W499 Granart Rd., Big Rock. Paul Wolff Campground at Burnidge Forest Preserve, 38W235 Big Timber Rd., Elgin. Call our campground hotline at 630-444-1200 or visit www.kaneforest.com
Naper Settlement ~ Infrastructure: Creating 19th Century Clothing Then & Now. Explore the fascinating stories behind the creation and recreation of 19th-century clothing at Naper Settlement’s new exhibit from May-November. Visitors will have the unique opportunity to view rarely seen 19th-century clothing and accessories from both the Naperville Heritage Society and the Winnetka Historical Society’s costume collections. The exhibit is included in the museum’s general admission. General admission is free for Naperville residents with proof of residency. For more information, please visit NaperSettlement.org/Infrastructure.
Air Classics Museums of Aviation ~ Explore up close the history of military aviation from the 1930’s to the present. Our outdoor airpark is the home to eleven aircraft including veterans of Vietnam and the Gulf War. The indoor exhibits include aviation memorabilia including aircraft engines, historical displays and a full-size interactive mockup of an Airbus A320 cockpit. A gift shop is on the premises. The museum is open Saturday & Sunday from 10:00AM to 3:00PM. Located at 44W546 W. US Rt. 30 Sugar Grove, just west of the Aurora Airport entrance. For more information, please call 630 466 0888 or visit www.airclassicsmuseum.org.
Visit Kenosha ~ Plan a getaway to Kenosha, WI. You’ll find world-class museums to explore, and at least a half dozen places to create your own art as a family. Fresh air and fun go hand-in-hand with miles of hiking trails, bike paths, disk and traditional golf courses, baseball games and more! Enjoy adventure beyond the expected north of the border. For more info and to plan your trip, go to www.visitkenosha.com
Summer in Naperville ~ Explore Naperville for incredible events, summer fun and mouth-watering dining! Discover talented artists at the Fine Art Festival or live music at Naper Nights. Enjoy the best of summer at our Classic Car Show, Ale Fest, Kite Festival, farmers markets or by simply dining alfresco. Get active hiking, biking, kayaking, or paddle boating. So many choices! See www.VisitNaperville.com for event and attraction details, www.DineNaperville.com to explore our 300+ restaurants, or call the Naperville CVB at 630-305-7791.
The 2023 Video Game Summit ~ 80+ booths of classic and modern video game dealers as well-known people in the video game business like Q*bert Designer,’ Jeff Lee and Artist of Mortal Kombat, Paul Niemeyer. Plus, Arcades from Galloping Ghost Arcade. The Video Game Summit will be held at the McCook Athletic and Exposition at 4750 S. Vernon Avenue, McCook.IL 60525 on July 8th from10am to 5pm. Admission $10.00. www.videogamesummit.net
Pirates’ Cove Children’s Theme Park, Elk Grove Park District ~ Pirates’ Cove stimulates the imagination of children as they explore the attractions. A pirate ship is the centerpiece of the park, along with a merry-go-round, carousel and the Soarin’ Schooner ride. There’s a train ride, paddle boats, a plunge slide and more. Pirates’ Cove is open daily from June 3 to August 13 from 9am-2pm. It is always best to call ahead to make sure the Park is open; we do close for extreme weather conditions since we are an outdoor play space. The park serves ages one to nine, the admission charge is only $15 for children. Adults are always free. Visitors are welcome to bring their own food. It’s a great deal for the whole family. 901 Leicester Road, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007. 847-439-COVE. www.elkgroveparks.org
Midwest Pond & Koi Society ~ The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
George Williams College, Williams Bay, Wisconsin – Music by the Lake
- Linda Eder … June 27
- Justin Roberts and the Not Ready for Naptime Players … June 25
- Martina McBride … July 8
- Lake Geneva SymphonyOrchestra … July 16
- The Guess Who … July 22
- BritBeat … July 29
Des Plaines – Live at the Lake
- New bands weekly. 3 Locations: The Greens Series, 1015 Howard Avenue, Lake Park Clubhouse; The Central Park Series, 1555 E. Thacker Street, at the Gazebo; and The Pavilion Series 2200 Lee Street, at Fargo Avenue. Des Plaines, IL.
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions –
- Singin’ In The Rain … July 7-29
Concerts in the Park | 7pm Wednesdays in July – FREE
River Park, 151 N. River Lane, Geneva
- Good Clean Fun … July 5
- The Wayouts … July 12
- Wild Daisy … July 19
- Mr. Myers … July 26
Up and Coming Theatre and The Hemmens Cultural Center presents Fame.
- Fame … July 14, 15, 21 and 22
Denny Diamond Entertainment
Denny Diamond Lunch Shows…
- at White Fence Farm in Romeoville … May 11 and June 14
- at Fermenting Cellars Winery, Janesville, WI … June 28
- at Hickory Hall in Crystal Lake … July 7
STARLIGHT TOURS provides Motorcoach transportation to many musical events and tours, such as…
- Barbara Streisand Tribute … July 24
- Galena Adventure … July 26
- Fergetaboutit Vineyar & Winery … August 29
- Marie Osmond Show … September 23 & 24
- French Lick Indiana … October 2-4
Summer Camp Source
It’s no exaggeration to say that the one event kids really look forward to all year is a Summer Camp. Simply click Summer Camp Source to find many wonderful camps to pique your child’s interest and expand their abilities.
We think you’ll like these articles, too…
Comments are closed.