WEEKEND+ for Thursday 5/5 to Wednesday 5/11.
FOR THIS WEEK: Summer Fun Begins Here | Summer Camps Source | Fairs & Festivals | Fitness / Race Guide | On Stage | Plus, links to … Make Room for Self Care, Party Advice from the Pros, Golf Links & Tips, 7 Ulta-Succesful Graduation Tips, Waterparks & Pools, Dining Out
Now Available ~ Suburban Family’s MAY / JUNE 2022 issue. Get it and…GO!
Summer Fun Begins Here…
(For this week…5/5 to 5/11)
Lake Geneva Women’s Weekend
Lake Geneva Women’s Weekend is back with a ROAR! May 13-15. Enjoy a Roaring 20’s Girls Getaway Weekend in beautiful Lake Geneva Wisconsin with social events workshops, wellness, special hotel rates, shopping, wind & dine. Go to www.LakeGenevaWomensWeekend.com to learn more and register online. Proceed from Women’s Weekend will go to our Philanthropic Fund to help charitable organizations in Greater Walworth county.
Discovery Center Chicago
Stepping into LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago is like you’ve just jumped into the biggest box of LEGO bricks ever! With over 3 million LEGO bricks under one roof and 2 stories of EPIC LEGO play, what will you discover? To see what else we have to offer, check out www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/chicago/ Be sure to buy tickets online to guarantee your entry. Located at 601 N. Martingale Road, STE 130 Schaumburg, IL 60173.
Head north of the border for adventure and relaxation in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Explore our Lake Michigan shoreline as you ride an authentic Electric Streetcar. Climb to the top of the Southport Lighthouse for amazing views of the lake. Book a charter fishing outing with the Kenosha Charter Boat Association. Get on the water aboard a standup paddle board, kayak, or duck-themed pedal boat at the Kenosha Community Sailing Center. Use www.VisitKenosha.com to find your #KenoshaFun.
This Summer Come Shop, Dine and Play in Arlington Heights!
Arlington Heights welcomes you to come shop, dine, and play! Discover our one-of-a-kind Downtown with some of the most unique boutique shopping in the Chicago suburbs. Live music, theater, and comedy are showcased at the intimate Metropolis Performing Arts Centre. Enjoy free, family-friendly live music at Sounds of Summer, Thursday & Friday evenings from June 16th – July 29th. And savor Chicagoland’s best outdoor dining experience with Arlington Alfresco, beginning Friday, April 29th and concluding with live music, great eats, and family fun at Harmony Fest/Taste of Arlington Heights on Sept. 30th & Oct. 1st! For more great experiences, visit DiscoverArlington.com !
Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art
People of all ages enjoy this exceptional Museum dedicated to cut and polished stone. See a world class collection of Chinese jade, hard stone carvings, animal dioramas, gemstones, fossils, meteorites, rocks and minerals from around the world. Hands on displays and unique Museum Shop enhance the experience. Group tours and children’s programs are available throughout the year see the Museum’s website for more information. 1220 Kensington Road, Oak Brook. 630-833-1616, firstname.lastname@example.org. www.lizzadromuseum.org
- Forest Preserve District of Kane County campgrounds are open May 1 – October 31
- Big Rock Campground at Big Rock Forest Preserve. 46W499 Granart Rd., Big Rock
- Paul Wolff Campground at Burnidge Forest Preserve. 38W235 Big Timber Rd., Elgin
- Call our campground hotline at 630-444-1200 or visit www.kaneforest.com
Cavalcade of Planes
Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport’s open house event on June 4 and 5th will include static displays of all types of airplanes, Warbirds, new planes, helicopters, Fly–in, Vietnam re-enactors, and others. The Museum will be open. The famous Ford Tri-motor will be selling rides, warbird T-6, and helicopter also selling rides, Food & drink throughout including the beer canteen. Folding chairs blankets allowed. No tents or pets. For more information and tickets go to www.cavalcadeofplanes.com.
Village of Lemont
Named one of the 23 Best Day Trips from Chicago by Time Out, Lemont offers local shopping, outdoor dining, and recreational amenities with a picturesque backdrop. Bike along the canal to The Forge to zipline through their world-class aerial courses. Grab a beer from Pollyanna, indulge in a pizza from Wooden Paddle, or stop by one of the locally-owned shops housed in iconic limestone buildings. No matter where you find yourself in Downtown, you’ll experience Lemont Real. Learn more at www.lemontdowntown.com.
St. Charles Fine Art Show
The 24th Annual St. Charles Fine Art Show showcases the original, juried work of over 95 fine artists in mediums including ceramics, painting, sculpture, jewelry, mixed media, and more. This year’s outdoor and free-to-the-public event is sponsored by St. Charles Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram and will run Saturday, May 28 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, May 29 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. rain or shine. For more information, visit www.stcharlesfineartshow.com.
Reed’s Canoe Trips
Reed’s Canoe and Kayak Trips are an ideal recreational activity for groups of any size, from a family adventure to large church, school, or park district outing with an adventure close to home. The three trips we offer range in length from approximately 2 hours to a full 6 hours on the water, and are suitable for either new or experienced canoeists. Since the Kankakee River is located only an hour south of Chicagoland, even our longest trip will fit into a one-day outing! 907 N. Indiana Ave, Rt. 50, Kankakee, IL Call for information or reservations: (815) WE CANOE or visit: reedscanoetrips.com
Downers Grove Park District Summer Events
Join the Downers Grove Park District in celebrating the summer months ahead! The Park District has numerous FREE events for the community to enjoy. Whether it’s enjoying live music at our Summer Concert Series, or partying the day away with free activities for the whole family at our Big Bash 75th Anniversary Celebration – there is something for everyone! http://www.dgparks.org
For over 60 years, kids from ages 1 to 92 love the world-famous Volo Museum’s 45 exhibits and over 15,000 historical items. From our new Jurassic Gardens dinosaur experience and giant carousel pavilion to our upcoming Train Museum and Titanic exhibit, we have something rare and amazing for everyone! Open daily 10a to 5p. Visit volofun.com for more information. Volo Museum, 27582 Volo Village Road, Volo, IL.
Use code CHIFAM20 for 20% OFF
For the Love of Art in the Park
Mt. St. Mary Park in St. Charles presents a striking and engaging sculpture exhibition against the backdrop of nature’s seasonal beauty. Along the tranquil Fox River, Sculpture in the Park features sculptural masterpieces made from various mediums by artists from all over the country and an array of pieces in the permanent collection. All ages are welcome to enjoy this magnificent free exhibit of original and unique sculpture. More info: www.stcsculpture.org
Cruise the Scenic Fox River
Enjoy travel from the era of Mark Twain through a green corridor of scenic beauty aboard the St. Charles Paddlewheel Riverboats. Both boats have open-air upper decks for unobstructed sightseeing and the lower decks have windows that can be closed in cool or rainy weather. Public tours are reasonably prices from May to October. Enjoy recurring events, such as Kids Cruises, Sunset Cruises, and many more Private charters available, too. Purchase tickets: stcriverboats.com
Kane County Cougars
There’s something special for everyone at a Cougars game!
Season Opener May 13! Bring the entire family and join the best fans in baseball as the Kane County Cougars play their fifty game home schedule at beautiful Northwestern Medicine Field in Geneva. Since 1991, the Cougars have been at the forefront of affordable family-fun, great food and fireworks. Every Cougars game is packed with exciting baseball action and between inning on-field events and contests. Select games feature post-game fireworks and free pre-game concerts in the music garden. And, the youngsters will love the Cougar’s Kid Zone. Visit KCCOUGARS.COM for more information or call 630-232-8811.
Barrington Hosts 2nd Classic Collectors Car Show on June 25th
The Barrington Area Chamber of Commerce will host its 2nd Classic Collectors Car Show on Saturday, June 25 from noon until 4:00 p.m. in downtown Barrington in the BMO Harris lot at Cook and E. Lake Streets.
This free family-family event will feature a lot full of display cars, DJ music, food, and refreshments. No day-of registration is allowed, show cars must be preapproved by the committee. For information visit www.BarringtonChamber.com. Top awards will be presented
Fun in Downtown Aurora
Come have fun this summer downtown Aurora. Explore a handful of museums during Aurora Museum Week the week of June 5. Free outdoor movies for all ages on second Thursdays starting June 9 at Aurora Regional Fire Museum. Wednesdays at the Plaza features live music beginning July 13. On August 5, it’s a block party at First Fridays. Alley Art Festival returns on August 27. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org
Sonny Acres Farm
Summer is right around the corner at Sonny Acres! Visit the West Chicago Farm in May for an unmatched selection of flowers and herbs, plants, soil and more just in time for planting season. Dates and hours of operation for Spring and Summer are listed at sonnyacres.com. A staple in the community for countless decades, Sonny Acres Farm offers endless opportunities for family fun, local shopping and event space for one-of-a-kind gatherings of any size. Boasting 22 acres of space, Sonny Acres Farm is the ideal, customizable destination for weddings, corporate events, family gatherings and other special occasions. For an extra “wow factor” at your next event, treat your guests to some of the farm’s unique seasonal offerings, including access to amusement rides, petting zoo, hayrides around the property and much more. 29W310 North Ave., West Chicago, IL 60185. (630) 231-3859. https://sonnyacres.com/
The Joliet Slammers are a professional minor league baseball team that plays in downtown Joliet at Duly Health and Care Field. The Slammers are part of the Frontier League which is a partner league of Major League Baseball. With 51-themed home games between May and September, the team is ready for a summer of fun for the entire family! Learn more at www.JolietSlammers.com or by calling 815-722-2287. Season Opener May 13!
Farm & Barn Fest
Mokena Park District
Join us at Farm & Barn Fest, Saturday, August 13, 9am–10pm at Historic Yunker Farm, 10824 La Porte Rd., Mokena. Free Parking and Admission! Event features: Petting Zoo, Kid’s games and activities, Contests, Free Stage Entertainment, and Food and Beer Concessions. Look for unique items at the Flea Market from 9am-12pm. The Splash Pad will be open from 10am–5:30pm. The Country Concert features MacKenzie O’Brien at 6pm and Rockstar Rodeo at 8pm. www.mokenapark.com.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
Ladies Day Out Expo
Get Ready!! The Ladies Day Out Expo is excited to bring to you our 5th Vendor Expo Show, May 21 -22 from 10AM – 5 PM. Tell your friends, family, co-workers….and hey…tell the guys too! It’s something for everyone this year!! Hundreds of vendors, crafters and artists to shop, network and connect with. Jewelry, Fashion, Bags, Handmades, Home Decor, Beauty products, Health & Wellness, Vacation Planning, Rare finds and more on exhibit. FREE Expo Swag Bag. FREE admission and parking. Odeum Expo Center, 1033 N. Villa Ave., Villa Park. 800-720-9331. www.ladiesdayoutexpo.com
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink (established 1957) is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) privates and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages plus for “health sake, roller skate” Come visit us and join in our fun. Instruction available every Saturday at 1 pm Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times. Located at 7231 West Archer Ave., Summit. 708-458-0300. www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com
Trails Entertainment Centers
Trails Entertainment Centers offers three amazing venues – Enchanted Castle Family Entertainment Center in Lombard, which is an all-indoor facility, and Haunted Trails Family Entertainment Centers located in Burbank and Joliet, which feature both indoor and outdoor attractions. Each location offers a unique variety of games, miniature golf, go-karts, amusement rides and other special attractions. Special discounted rates are available for birthday parties, group outings and corporate picnics & events. For more information visit www.trailsfunparks.com.
SAFARI LAND – Villa Park
Safari Land is the ultimate, INDOOR entertainment center, plus home of the largest year-round indoor roller coaster in Illinois. Open seven days a week, offering eight amusement rides, over 100 arcade games and 12 lanes of bowling. Ride wristband includes: Tilt-A-Whirl, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Monkey Jump, Soft Play Area, Max Flight Simulator, Roller Coaster & Kiddie Go-Karts. Free parking and a perfect spot for birthday parties! For more information visit www.safarilandfun.com or call 630-530-4649.
See the complete “Summer Fun Begins Here” section in SF’s E-Mag
GO TO E-MAG
Summer Camp Source…
(For this week…5/5 to 5/11)
NIU STEAM Camps
Join us for an in-person summer adventure. Day and residential camps for aspiring scientists, engineers and creators are back on the campuses of Northern Illinois University. Explore engineering, health sciences, video game design, drones, filmmaking, food science and other STEAM topics. Build friendships, work in teams and develop your creativity as you complete open-ended creative challenges. Day and residential camps for grades 2-12. go.niu.edu/STEAMCamps22, mailto:email@example.com, 815-753-8554.
Camp Naper at Naper Settlement
Calling all parents of adventurers in grades 1-8! Register your child for a summer full of learning and exploration at Naper Settlement’s Camp Naper this June-August. Utilizing Naper Settlement’s beautiful 13-acre museum campus as their learning laboratory, campers will go on adventures in history, art, science, and more! Whether learning the science behind their favorite magic trick or building their own box city with the help of a local construction firm, each of our 16 unique, themed day camps provide an immersive learning experience that will capture your child’s imagination, while strengthening their critical thinking and problem-solving skills. To learn more or register your child for one of our 3-, 4- or 5-day camps, please visit NaperSettlement.org/CampNaper.
The Forge: Lemont Quarries
Quarry Camps at The Forge: Lemont Quarries help young adventurers get outdoors and stay active while learning. Our one-week sessions foster personal growth with a variety of fun, safe, educational, recreational, and group activities – all outdoors! Kids will rock climb, traverse our ropes course, zipline, kayak, learn about conservation, learn through art & STEM-based activities, and so much more! Learn more at www.forgeparks.com/summer-camps
Rock ‘n’ Kids
Get on your feet! Rock ‘n’ Kids provides music, movement and imagination classes for 1-5 years at park districts in Chicagoland! Tot Rock and Kid Rock are interactive and educational, with each class including songs and rhymes, basic dance steps and movements, fine and gross motor skills, rhythm instruments and movement props, imaginative play, socialization and fun! We are also available for mobile music and dance parties! We have been singing, dancing, and playing for over 27 years! Get more information at www.rockitkids.com.
Under the Sun Camps
The Bensenville Park District’s Under the Sun summer camps provide hours of safe, supervised fun and promote development, teamwork, and socialization. During each exciting day, campers will participate in a wide variety of engaging games, projects, crafts, and of course, daily swim time at the water park. There’s even a before-and-after-camp program! Register by May 6 and save $10 off each full 10-day session reserved for Adventure, Discovery and Teen Camps. For details, visit BvilleParks.org/Programs/Camps.
Good Times Summer Day Camp
Offers campers an exciting and active program for children ages 4-14. Each week is filled with incredible field trips, many hours of swimming, various sports, exciting guests, challenging crafts, special events, and a theme based cookout. We accommodate parent’s busy schedules by offering extended hours from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at no extra charge. Schedules are flexible – come only the days you want. Convenient locations in Libertyville, Wheeling, Deerfield, & Glenview. Busing available in some areas. For more information, please call 847-680-4884 or visit www.goodtimesdaycamp.com.
Great Lakes Volleyball Center
Looking for a summer volleyball camp for your son or daughter ages Pre-K through 12th grade? The Great Lakes Center is located at 579 N. Oakhurst Drive, Aurora, IL. 60502 will be running camps in late June through the first week of August. You do not want to miss our World Class Training with “America’s #1 Summer Volleyball Camp Program” Don’t forget to ask about our site camps where we come to you! For more information call 630-898-6400 or visit www.greatlakescenter.com/camps/ FB: Sports Performance Volleyball
Carthage College Soccer Camp.
Develop your soccer skills in a positive environment on the beautiful campus of Carthage College. Boys and Girls, from young players learning the game to elite recruits looking to play at college. 5-8 yrs Junior Kickers June 20-22; 7-12 yrs Day Camp June 20-22; 10-18 yrs Resident Camp July 22-24; 15-18 yrs Firebird ID Camp July 22-24. Learn from college players and be seen by college coaches. Register online at www.carthagesoccercamp.com, Questions, call: 262-551-5930.
FACETS Film Camp
This summer, FACETS is offering 10 in-person and virtual film camps designed to help youth stay creative over break. With a variety of camp options, from the flagship Film 101 camp to the new Introduction to YouTube camp, young creatives of all types can find something fun and affordable at FACETS Film Camps (1517 W Fullerton Ave, Chicago). Three, four, and five-day camp options are available for ages 8-17 from June 27-August 19, 2022. Enrollment ranges from $225-$500. www.facets.org/education/film-camps
IC Catholic Prep
Join IC Catholic Prep this Summer for their 2022 Summer Camps! Enroll in numerous camps for all ages Kindergarten-8th grade. Camps include: Track & Field, Bowling, Dance, Wrestling, Soccer, Tennis, Baseball, Lacrosse, Cross Country, Softball, Basketball, Volleyball, Football. Located at 217 Cottage Hill Avenue in Elmhurst. Be a part of something bigger at IC Catholic Prep. Sign up and learn more online at iccatholicprep.org/summer-camp-2022
University of Illinois
University of Illinois, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics has committed itself to the development of well-rounded summer sport camps for boys and girls. Young athletes have the opportunity to learn more about their sport, improve their skills, create new friendships and have fun at the same time. Campers receive excellent coaching, experience campus life, and meet athletes from a variety of backgrounds. To learn more about specific camp offering go to fightingillini.com/camps
Little Mountain Community Theatre
Children entering grades 2-8 in the fall are invited to join us Mondays through Fridays, June 27 to July 8, for a two-week theatrical immersion while rehearsing for a production of The Music Man Kids. Participants will learn lessons in teamwork, responsibility, and self-confidence. Singing, dancing, and acting will be an integral part of the program with a final performance in the Lemont High School Performing Arts Center. Space is limited. Visit www.littlemountaintheatre.org for details.
Saint Ignatius College Prep
Saint Ignatius College Prep offers a wide variety of athletic and academic programs for students. Our camps and courses are engaging, enjoyable, and challenging in the tradition of Saint Ignatius College Prep. Choose from “Summer with the Pack” athletic camp opportunities for students beginning in the 3rd grade, our “Taste of Ignatius” academic enrichment program for rising 7th and 8th grade students, and our High School academic offerings. 1076 W. Roosevelt Rd., Chicago, IL 60608. Visit www.ignatius.org/academics/summer-school for details and registration.
Soccer Made in America
Soccer Made in America Training Camp is a high-quality program for players 4 – 14. The SMIA training program is designed to provide the most complete soccer training for both individual players and teams of all levels and abilities. Each camp is designed to teach players proper technical and tactical skills while enjoying playing the game of soccer. Aleks Mihailovic is recognized as one of the finest teachers of the game in the United States, specializing in technical and tactical elevation. The SMIA clinicians are well recognized for providing personal attention to every participant. Since 1984 thousands of children have kicked the ball for the first time in a SMIA training program. Many have gone to compete at collegiate, professional, Olympic and national team levels. Son and midfielder, Djordje Mihailovic, grew up playing in the SMIA training camp environment. A full US National Team and Olympic team player recognized as one of the top players in the MLS. He is being considered by some of the top clubs in Europe. Come experience a great week at a SMIA camp. For camp schedule go to www.smia.com or call 630-257-6900 for more information.
See the complete “Summer Camps” section in SF’s E-Mag
GO TO E-MAG
Fairs & Festivals…
(Latest for this week…5/5 to 5/11)
- Wine on the Fox Fest – 5/7-8. Entertainment, food and premier wine tasting. Hudson Crossing Park, Oswego. gooswego.org.
- Tulip Time Festival – 5/7-15. Hundreds of tulips, entertainment, events and activities. Holland, MI tuliptime.com
See all Fairs & Festivals for May and June in SF’s E-Mag :
GO TO E-MAG
(Latest for this week…5/5 to 5/11)
In The Heights
The Hemmens, Elgin
The UAC and the City of Elgin are excited to continue their partnership to present the 2022 summer production. In The Heights tells the universal story of a vibrant community in New York’s Washington Heights neighborhood – a place where the coffee from the corner bodega is light and sweet, the windows are always open and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. It’s a community on the brink of change, full of hopes, dreams and pressures. In The Heights is the winner of the 2008 Tony Awards for Best Musical, Score, Choreography & Orchestrations. Tickets may be purchased at The Hemmens Box Office, by phone at 847-931-5900 or by going to www.hemmens.org. Tickets are $20 reserved seating in advance, $25 at the door. Students/ Seniors $15.00. Group rates are also available.
Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
Presents Beauty and the Beast, July 8–30
With music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, the musical follows the Disney storyline of the prince rejecting to grant a beggar woman shelter. She reveals herself to be an enchantress in disguise and places a curse on him and his castle. The young prince is turned into a beast – and cursed to live out his days in that form unless he can learn to love and earn that love himself. When Belle finds herself in his castle, the Beast may have found the hope he needs – if he can learn to listen to his heart before it is too late. Located at 900 Foster Avenue in Medinah. Get your tickets at www.overshadowed.org or call 630.634.2100.
See the “On Stage” section in SF’s E-Mag
GO TO E-MAG
Fitness/ Race Events…
(For this week…5/5 to 5/11)
SATURDAY, MAY 7
- Dash4Cash.St. Charles. stcparks.org/events
- Lemont Quarryman Challenge. Lemont. quarrymanchallenge.com
- Mother’s Day 5k and Kids’ Run. Barrington. allcommunityevents.com/mothersday5k
- Cinco De Miler. Chicago. Venturesendurance.enmotive.com
- Run to Remember 5K Run/Walk and Kids’ Run. Chicago. cpdmemorial.org
- A Safe Place EmpoweRun 5K Run/Walk. Libertyville. asafeplaceforhelp.org
- Sprint 2 Spring 5k Run/Walk. Hanovertownship. Sprint2spring.com
- Walk the Walk for Mental Health – Sun., 5/15 at 8:30 AM. 1 mile walk to support equitable mental health services. The Community House, Hinsdale, IL. www.thecommunityhouse.org
- Walk to Cure Arthritis – 5k Walk. Sat., 5/21 at 9 AM. Benefits the Arthritis Foundation, Old School Forest Preserve, Libertyville. www.walktocurearthritis.org/lakecountyil
- Western Springs 45th Annual Tower Trot – 10K, 5K, & Fun Run, plus Double Run (10K & 5K). Sat. 5/28 at 8:30 AM. Benefits Healing Hearts for Ashley Grand Avenue Community Center, 4211 Grand Avenue, Western Springs. 708-246-9070. www.wsprings.com/towertrot
See all Fitness / Race events for May and June in SF’s E-Mag :
GO TO E-MAG
(For this week…5/5 to 5/11)
THURSDAY, MAY 5
- FAMILY Fitness de Mayo – Mexican fiesta themed exercises and games. Events throughout the day starting at 10:15 AM. Deer Grove Leisure Center. 1000 W. Wood St., Bensenville. Register. WoodstFitness.com
- CONCERT Live and Uncorked (21+) – Bring a chair and snacks Thursdays for live music at Blackberry Farm. 7-9PM. Aurora. Blackberryfarm.info
- CONCERT Lemont Sunset Soiree – Concerts begin at 7PM. Thursdays, 6/16 and 6/23. FREE. Downtown Lemont. Lemontparkdistrict.org
- NATURE Walk on the Wild Side– A Horticulture Staff tour meets the third Thursday of each month through October. 11 AM. Visitor’s Center. Cantigny, Wheaton. Register. cantigny.org.
- CONCERT Lemont Sunset Soiree – Concerts begin at 7PM. Thursdays, 6/16 and 6/23. FREE. Downtown Lemont. Lemontparkdistrict.org
- SENIORS Card Players – Bring cards to the CORE Kensington Room.12-3PM. Tuesdays Pinochle. Thursdays Bridge, Fridays Open Card Play. Lemont. Lemontparkdistrict.org
FRIDAY, MAY 6
- ADULT Mother’s Day and Rose – Sip and paint a masterpiece together in an instructor led session. A glass of wine and snacks provided. Childcare available for a fee. 7-9PM. Schaumburg CRC. Parkfun.com
- CONCERT Spring Concert – The Glen Ellyn-Wheaton Chorale will present “Clear Blue Morning.” 7:30PM. College Church, Wheaton. More info at gewchorale.org.
- E-SPORTS Super Smash Bros Tournament – Test your skills against the best players in the area in a round-robin tournament. 6-8:30PM. Fountain View Rec Center, Carol Stream. Scparks.org
- FAMILY Food Truck Festival – 20 local and regional food trucks, art and live music. 5-10PM. Benton St., Aurora. auroradowntown.org.
- FAMILY Bingo Night – Several rounds of Bingo from 5:30-8:30PM, all ages. Ackerman SFC. Glen Ellyn. Geparks.org
- SHOW 46th Annual Ice Show: Skating with the Stars – Winnetka Ice Arena Skating School’s annual recital. 7PM. Purchase tickets in advance. Winnetka. Winpark.org
- ART Art on the Mart – The 30-minute program of projections will be shown nightly at 8:30 and 9:00 p.m. thru June 29. artonthemart.com.
- FAMILY First Fridays –Several venues will be open downtown with art, music and more. 5 PM-Midnight. FREE. Thru Dec. Visit auroradowntown.org
- FOOD Food Truck Festival – 30 food trucks along Benton Street. Beer garden. Coincides with Aurora’s First Fridays. 5-9PM. Downtown Aurora. Auroradowntown.org
- EXHIBIT The Artful Soul of Faust – Extended through June 19. The life of Faust as told through 14 large cameos carved in Germany. Exhibits US premier. Lizzadro Museum. Oak Brook. Lizzadromuseum.org
- EXHIBIT Bill Sienkiewicz: Pop Culture Revolution – Best known for revolutionizing the style of comic and graphic novel illustration. Bess Bower Dunn Museum of Lake County. Through 9/5. Lcfpd.org
- EXHIBIT People of the Prairie – thru 6/5. Learn about the Native peoples of Illinois and view artifacts from sites in Northern IL. Elmhurst History Museum. elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Middle Kingdom under the Big Sky: Experiences of Chinese Immigrants to the US– 5/5-6/25. Featuring maps, manuscripts, and rare books. Newberry Library, Chicago. newberry.org.
- NATURE Virtual Programs –A bevy of popular programs on wildflowers, Lake County history, World Turtle Day and more during the month of May. Register. lcfpd.org
- SENIORS Weekly Movies – Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday afternoons. Free. Check website for movies and showtimes. Naperville. Napervilleparks.org
- EXHIBIT Biomimicry in Art and Design – Interactive learning stations about nature emulations in art. Elmhurst Art Museum. Through 8/14. Tickets required. Elmhurstartmuseum.org
- FAMILY US Bowling Congress Women’s Championships – Spectators welcome. Free. Through July 3 at Stardust Bowl. Addison. Discoverdupage.com
- FAMILY Ice Age Giants – Over 20 life-sized animatronics through October 30. Brookfield Zoo. Free with general admission. CZS.org.
- NATURE Healing Gardens – A two-acre expanse of woodland and perennial gardens. 11 AM-4 PM. 2nd Sunday of the month May thru October. Stone Hill Farm, St. Charles. Fee. healinggardensatstonehillfarm.com
- EXHIBIT Human Nature – Ongoing. Explore large-scale sculptures created by South African artist. Advance reservations required. Morton Arboretum, Lisle. mortonarb.org/events/humannature.
SATURDAY, MAY 7
- ADULTS Barrington Wine Walk – Enjoy a “Sipping Saturday” while visiting many unique stores. 2-6PM. Downtown Barrington. purchase tickets in advance at barringtonchamber.com
- ADULT McHenry Downtown Spring Sip – Stroll McHenry’s downtown and visit a variety of shops, enjoy sipping wines at each. 1-5PM. Business.mchenrychamber.com
- CHARITY EVENT MYAC Gala: Under the Big Top Event – Celebrate with carnival games. 6PM. Purchase Tickets in advance. Highwood. Mya.org
- CONCERT Spring Concert – The Glen Ellyn-Wheaton Chorale will present “Clear Blue Morning.” 3PM. College Church, Wheaton. More info at gewchorale.org.
- FAMILY Kid Fest – Family fun at Citizen’s Park. Free kites to fly, obstacle course, activity stations, and refreshments for purchase. Free. 11AM-3PM. Barrington. Barringtonparkdistrict.org
- FAMILY Spring High Tea – Enjoy a Victorian Tea Party held in an historic parlour. Finger sandwiches and pastries served. 1-3PM. Museums at Lisle Station Park. Lisle. Lisleparkdistrict.org
- FOOD Naperville Food Truck Fest – 25+ of Chicagoland’s best food trucks and beer garden, DJ, and more. 1-7PM. Naper Settlement. Naperville. Eventbrite.com
- FAMILY Touch a Truck – Kids’ chance to see and touch their favorite big trucks and take pics. Raffles. 10AM-12PM. Maryknoll Park. Glen Ellyn. Geparks.org
- FUNDRAISER Enchanted Forest Gala – Black Tie, adult only event with dinner, cocktails and live entertainment. Goebbert’s Pumpkin Patch & Apple Orchard. Pingree Grove. goebbertspumpkinpatch.com
- LECTURE Herkimer Diamonds: Finding Your Inner Rockhound – Interactive lecture includes hands-on exploration of the Herkimer Diamond. 2-3PM. Lizzadro Museum. Oak Brook. Register. lizzadromuseum.org.
- NATURE Spring Bird Walk – Get to know nearby nature with Barrington area naturalist. Bring binoculars. 7:30AM. Crabtree Nature Center, Barrington Hills. Register 312-450-8206
- NATURE Migratory Bird Festival – Bird Walks, bird-related games, crafts and family activities. Elburn Forest Preserve. 10AM-2PM. Elburn. Ahconnects.org
- NATURE Spring Bird Walk – May is the month for songbird migration. Bring binoculars to Independence Grove for a walk with a skilled birder. 7-9AM. Libertyville. lcfpd.org
- NATURE – Sand Ridge Nature Center 60th Anniversary – Celebrate conservation, recreation and educational work. 11AM-3PM. South Holland. Fpdcc.com
- SHOW 46th Annual Ice Show: Skating with the Stars – Winnetka Ice Arena Skating School’s annual recital. 6PM. Purchase tickets in advance. Winnetka. Winpark.org
- CONCERT The Forge’s Summer Concert Series – Lemont. Saturdays. For times and dates visit forgeparks.com
- ART Bloomingdale Artists Association Exhibit and Reception – Featuring a diversity of talent and artistic media. Bloomingdale Park District Museum. Through May 7. Contact Lois firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
SUNDAY, MAY 8
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
- BRUNCH Mother’s Day Brunch – Brunch in the Grand Ballroom of the Chevy Chase Country Club. Various seating times. Wheeling. Wheelingparkdistrict.com
- FAMILY Mother’s Day Brunch and Flowers – Brunch and beautiful surroundings at Blackberry farm. 10:30AM-12PM. Aurora. Blackberryfarm.info
- NATURE Birds on Display – Bird handlers will be on hand to allow an up-close look their fascinating birds. 1-3PM. Vogelei Park, Hoffman Estates. Heparks.org
- OUTDOORD Mother’s Day Celebration – Bring the kids to Heritage Farm to create a handmade flower gift for mom and stay to enjoy the grounds. 12-2PM. Free. Schaumburg. Parkfun.com
- CONCERT Summer Concert Series – Concerts begin at 5PM on Sunday evenings June 5 thru Aug. 14. Wheelingparkdistrict.com
- CONCERT Concerts in Your Park Series – Sunday evening at various neighborhood parks. FREE. 7:00-8:30 pm. napervilleparks.org.
MONDAY, MAY 9
- GOLF Glen Ellyn Community Golf Outing – 1PM Shotgun start with contests, cocktails and dinner buffet. Village Links of Glen Ellyn. Glenellynchamber.com/golf
- SENIORS Movie Monday in the Oak Room – Every Monday we’ll play a movie and provide the popcorn and soda. No movie July 4. Bensenville. Bvilleparks.org
- EXPO TransWorld’s Jewelry Fashion and Accessories Show will run from June 10-12 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont. jfashow.com.
TUESDAY, MAY 10
- CONCERT Summer Concert Series – Concerts begin at 7PM on Tuesday evenings May 24 thru Aug. 16. Register. Fishel Park, Downers Grove. dgparks.org
WEDNESDAY, MAY 11
- CONCERT Picosa at DePaul University – Hear Picosa’s final programs of the season. 7PM. DePaul University, Chicago. For program and ticket information, see picosamusic.com
- CONCERT Music in the Park Series – Downtown Bensenville, Wednesdays 7:30-9:30PM. Live music, vendors, and family fun. Bensenville.il.us
See all Chicagoland events for May and June in our E-Mag,,,
GO TO E-MAG
We think you’ll like these articles, too…
- Make Room for Self Care
- Party Advice from the Pros
- Golf Links & Tips
- 7 Ulta-Succesful Graduation Tips
- Waterparks & Pools
- Dine Out
- ANNUAL Senior Focus + Resources
- ANNUAL 2022 Fitness Race Guide
- Capital Investment Realty