WEEKEND+ for Thursday 8/19 to Wednesday 8/25
Best Day Trips | On Stage | Fairs & Festivals | Chicagoland Events | Race / Fitness Events | Party Tips | Senior Resources | Otter Cove Aquatic Park | DuPage Golf tips | Dining Out
GO TO Suburban Family’s “OPEN for SUMMER” issue.
Best Day Trips…
(Updated for this week…8/19 to 8/25)
Congregation Etz Chaim – Judaism that inspires!
Welcome young families and Prospective members. Come and see our vibrant, multi-generational community and join us as we
Kick off the Jewish High Holidays Festival “Selichotapalooza” on Saturday August 28th from 5-8pm. Kid friendly games and activities, wagon rides, free food, wine and scotch tasting. Meet the Rabbis and congregation.
Free Movies, Art Festival and Live Music in Downtown Aurora
Enjoy summer fun in downtown Aurora. Visit family-friendly attractions and enjoy free events. First Fridays with more than two dozen venues open to explore plus a Food Truck Court. Alley Art Festival August 28. Alley Art Festival will return to its home on August 28th in downtown Aurora. The popular, grassroots art festival will feature more than 65 local artists from Aurora and nearby communities Noon – 5 PM. Water Street Mall, Millennium Plaza, and Gallery 1904 at 1 E. Benton St. Live music kicks off at noon at Millennium Plaza. Follow us on Facebook at Aurora Downtown. www.auroradowntown.org
Rock out with the family at Naper Nights Community Concert Series at Naper Settlement on September 17-18 from 5-10PM. Naper Nights explores major historical milestones and their effect on pop culture with themed musical tribute concerts. Rock out with your community as you eat, drink, dance, and hear the area’s best tribute bands perform your favorite rock, pop, country, and soul hits! This year’s line-up includes tributes to James Brown, Dave Matthews Band, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and more. For more information and tickets, please visit: www.NaperNights.org
Kohl Children’s Museum
We spark curiosity and inspire a love of learning for children ages birth to 8. For Summer 2021, choose your visit: learn and play indoors in our 16 interactive exhibits, including special exhibit “Nature Cat: Backyard and Beyond,” or stay 100% outdoors with our SummerBurst special event: butterfly tent, trike track, bug hunt, and more. Located at 2100 Patriot Blvd., Glenview, IL. For tickets and more information, call 847-832-6600 or visit www.kcmgc.org.
Whether you’re planning your next date night, work outing or family gathering, WhirlyBall Naperville has you covered for non-stop fun! In addition to WhirlyBall, there’s eight bowling lanes, a four-lane bowling suite, HyperBowling and a multilevel laser tag area. Offering a relaxed yet elevated dining experience featuring fresh takes on classic American fare, an expansive collection of 24 rotating craft beer selections and refreshing signature cocktails. Reserve your space today! WHIRLYBALL NAPERVILLE, 3103 ODYSSEY CT, 630-932-4800 www.whirlyball.com.
It’s hard to deny the beauty of the Fox River from any point along the shore whether you’re biking the trail, fishing on Boy Scout Island or looking out from the historic tower at Pottawatomie Park. Nothing compares to experiencing the Fox River during a paddlewheel riverboat cruise on the waterway itself. Enjoy travel from the era of Mark Twain through a green corridor of scenic beauty. Both boats have open-air upper decks for unobstructed sightseeing and the lower decks have windows that can be closed in cool or rainy weather. Public tours are reasonably prices from May to October. Private charters available, too. A facility of the St. Charles Park District 8 North Avenue, St. Charles, IL 60174. 630-584-2334. www.stcriverboats.com
SAFARI LAND – Villa Park
Safari Land is the ultimate, INDOOR entertainment center, plus home of the largest year-round indoor roller coaster in Illinois. Open seven days a week, offering eight amusement rides, over 100 arcade games and 12 lanes of bowling. Ride wristband includes: Tilt-A-Whirl, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Monkey Jump, Soft Play Area, Max Flight Simulator, Roller Coaster & Kiddie Go-Karts. Free parking and a perfect spot for birthday parties! For more information visit www.safarilandfun.com or call 630-530-4649.
Find fun in the Kenosha Area with personalized service, directions, coupons, maps, and more at our I-94/Hwy 165 Visitor Information Center. Learn more about museums, art galleries, lighthouses, parks, Lake Michigan beaches, fishing, festivals, restaurants, shops, attractions, and so much more. Our team is ready to help you plan the perfect day trip or weekend getaway. Go to www.VisitKenosha.com or 262-654-7307 for more information, stop in at 10519 120th Avenue, Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158.
Abbey Farms’ Summer Ramble is Chicagoland’s best day trip for 2021! Enjoy live music under an umbrella on a cozy patio, along with Marmion Abbey beer or wine and our small-bites cafe menu. Plan a picnic on the lawn, explore antique tractors on a walk around the farm, or shop our seasonal farm store with vintage-style housewares, specialty food items, home-grown produce, oven-fresh bakery items and more! We’re dog friendly – bring ‘em along! It’s a great destination for a quick summer retreat that’s close by, at Abbey Farms! Located at 2855 Hart Rd., Aurora, IL. Visit www.SummerRamble.com.
Go Ape Chicago is an unparalleled outdoor adventure experience. Located at Bemis Woods, part of the Forest Preserves of Cook County, you’ll tackle dangling obstacles, explore the trees from a new perspective and fly around on multiple ziplines from exciting heights. Their Treetop Adventure & Treetop Journey courses are guaranteed to deliver laughter, smiles and a sense of accomplishment. Go Ape also introduced two new activities in 2021: Treetop Nets and Axe Throwing. Go Ape, Live Life Adventurously! Go Ape Chicago is located at 1100 Ogden Avenue, Western Springs, IL 60558. Visit www.goape.com to learn more or book your adventure.
Funway Entertainment is where you want to be this summer! Join us in the Backyard Park for a fun filled day of go karting, bumper boats, batting cages, mini golf, water wars and jump shot basketball. The Junior Go Kart Pack is for the beginner drivers, ages 7-9, while the Eagle Pack is for drivers 10 and up. Both of these races are located on the Family Go Kart Track. Are you interested in racing on the Fast Track? Then the Falcon Pack is for you! The Go Kart Summer Fun Packs make it easy to plan your trip and make summer memories you won’t forget! Come out and play! 1335 S. River St. Batavia. 630-879-8717 Visit: funway.com
Visit Lake County
Let the Ride Take You this summer to Lake County, Illinois. It’s that rush of excitement of something new. Or, that great feeling of revisiting a favorite—a best burger, thrilling coaster, outdoor concert, a sunset on a lake. It’s about having the time of your life for an afternoon or weekend. Take to the road and see where it leads. The places you can discover here will leave lasting memories and have you coming back. Let’s go! visitlakecounty.org.
Summerfield Farm & Zoo
An up close and personal animal experience for kids of all ages! Plenty of things to do and amazing animals! See our animals from A (alligators) to Z (zebra). Free animal shows daily with admission (check online schedule). Kids can have fun feeding bottles to baby goats and feeding the petting zoo animals. Free parking. Unique gift shop and snack shop. Just minutes from I-90 in Belvidere. www.summerfieldfarmandzoo.com
Air Classics Museums of Aviation
Explore up close the history of military aviation from the 1930’s to the present. Our outdoor airpark is the home to eleven aircraft including veterans of Vietnam and the Gulf War, The indoor exhibits include aviation memorabilia including aircraft engines, historical displays, and a full size mockup of a Boeing 737 cockpit. A gift shop is on the premises, The museum is open Saturday & Sunday from 10:00AM to 3:00PM. For more information, please call 630 466 0888 or visit airclassicsmuseum.org. Air Classics Museum of Aviation 44W546 W. US Rt. 30 Sugar Grove, Illinois , just west of the Aurora Airport entrance.
All the Best of Naperville on Water Street
Water Street is your spot to shop, dine, spa, stay and celebrate! Anchored by the beautiful Hotel Indigo and nestled along Naperville’s famed Downtown Riverwalk, Water Street invites you to discover fabulous restaurants offering everything from sushi to tacos to ice cream, Mediterranean to wine-pairings and cocktails with the best-ever sunset view. Escape to an award-winning experiential spa and salon, discover gift and apparel shopping for men and women or plan your dream wedding or event here! www.waterstreetnaperville.com
Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art
People of all ages enjoy this exceptional Museum dedicated to sharing the beauty of cut and polished stone, promoting lapidary artists and understanding rocks and minerals. Featuring a world-class collection of Chinese jade and hard stone carvings from around the world. Exhibits include stone mosaics, cameos, animal dioramas, mineral specimens, gemstones, fossils, meteorites and hands-on displays. Unique Museum Shop, ADA accessible and open year-round. 1220 Kensington Road, Oak Brook, IL 60523. Ph. 630-833-1616, email@example.com. www.lizzadromuseum.org
Reed’s Canoe Trips
Reed’s Canoe and Kayak Trips are an ideal recreational activity for groups of any size, from a family adventure to large church, school, or park district outing with an adventure close to home. The three trips we offer range in length from approximately 2 hours to a full 6 hours on the water, and are suitable for either new or experienced canoeists. Since the Kankakee River is located only an hour south of Chicagoland, even our longest trip will fit into a one-day outing! 907 N. Indiana Ave, Rt. 50, Kankakee, IL. Call for information or reservations: (815) WE CANOE or visit: www.reedscanoetrips.com
Maxson’s Restaurant & Riverboat
Maxson’s Restaurant has been in business in Oregon, Illinois since 1952. Plan your visit now and enjoy the summer season. It offer’s glass enclosed dining with stunning views of the Rock River. The Pride of Oregon Paddleboat takes guests on a scenic 15 mile round trip lunch and dinner cruises. Maxson’s can host events up to 260 people in the restaurant, 200 on the sprawling deck, and 80-100 on the Riverboat. 1469 IL Rt. 2, Oregon, Illinois 61061. Perfect setting for a day trip or your next special event. For more information call 1-815-732-6761 or visit www.Maxsons.net
Summer in Naperville
Welcome back to summer in Naperville! The downtown is “sailing into summer” with decorated sailboats mixing with Century Walk for art throughout the area. Dining is open with many expanded outdoor venues, along with indoor seating. With all of the fun activities in Naperville, a staycation is a perfect choice for your summertime family adventures. Book a room at one of Naperville’s fabulous hotels, enjoy indoor swimming, and venture outdoors to enjoy the Riverwalk, Centennial Beach, Naper Settlement as well as paddleboats or kayaking at the Quarry. To make Naperville your staycation destination, contact www.VisitNaperville.com.
Mid-Continent Railway Museum
All aboard! Located near Wisconsin Dells, Mid-Continent Railway Museum welcomes visitors for a 55-minute ride aboard antique passenger train cars and to explore the museum’s railyard filled with dozens of beautifully restored trains from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Open Saturdays and Sundays thru Oct. 17. Info at www.MidContinent.org or call 800-930-1385. E8948 Museum Rd., North Freedom, WI.
Fleetwood Roller Rink
Fleetwood Roller Rink Fleetwood Roller Rink is a family-owned business. Our venue hosts public skating, birthday parties (our specialty) private parties and fundraisers. We promote family fun for all ages. For “health sake, roller skate.” Come visit us and join in our fun. Skating lessons available every Saturday at 1 p.m. Located at 7231 W Archer Ave, Summit, IL 60501. Call 708-458-0300. Check for our ongoing specials and public skating times at www.fleetwoodrollerrink.com Like us at facebook.com/FleetwoodRollerRink
Experience farm life! Explore restored farm buildings, visit with farm animals and agricultural interpreters, or enjoy a stroll through 100+ acres of historic and modern rural landscapes. Exciting and educational activities await you in the farmyard! Grounds open dawn to dusk. Animal Adventure programs offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, featuring hand-milking a Jersey cow, gathering eggs from the chicken coop, grooming a draft horse or feeding the animals. A facility of the St. Charles Park District. 5N726 Crane Road, St. Charles, IL 60175. 630-513-4370. www.primrosefarm.org
Ottawa, Illinois The Middle of Everywhere
Ottawa, Illinois is a vibrant tourist destination located 80 miles outside of downtown Chicago. It is often considered to be “In the Middle of Everywhere,” located in the heart of the state, central to several major Illinois cities and drive markets, and within a stone’s throw of many diverse activities–from lush and natural outdoor areas to renowned cultural and historic attractions. Those who visit Ottawa, Illinois take note of its friendly and neighborly, hometown feel. Ottawa Visitors Center. pickusottawail.com. 815-434-2737
Spend the Day in Downtown Lemont
Lemont has the most picturesque terrain in Chicago and the best outdoor activities in the Midwest. Bike along the canal to The Forge to zipline through their world-class aerial courses. Grab a beer from Pollyanna, indulge in a pizza from Wooden Paddle, or stop by one of the taverns or shops housed in iconic limestone buildings. No matter where you find yourself in Downtown, you’ll experience Lemont Real. Learn more at www.lemontdowntown.com.
“Camp Local” with the Forest
Preserve District of Kane County!
Looking for a nearby escape (and a return to outdoor, family fun)? Camp Local with us! Paul Wolff Campground in Elgin and Big Rock Campground in Big Rock offer tent and RV camping with electric and water hook-ups. Take a hike. Catch a fish. Enjoy time away, under the stars. Camp sites range from $15 to $35 per day. Campgrounds are open May through late October. Call 630-444-1200 or visit kaneforest.com for details.
Midwest Pond & Koi Society
The Midwest Pond & Koi Society, MPKS, are families with a common hobby: koi ponds, garden ponds, koi keeping, and plants. MPKS members range from the novice to experienced water gardener. The club has monthly meetings with topics about plants, ponds, and fish. Other activities include; auctions, road trips, and a pond tour. You do not have to be a member to attend a meeting. Visit our web site www.mpks.org for more information.
(Updated for this week…8/19 to 8/25)
The Palace Theater in the Wisconsin Dells
Bello Nock – Now Playing
Running all summer
“You’ve seen BELLO NOCK headlining Ringling Brothers with Bellobration and the Bo & Bello tour, performing to SOLD OUT crowds at the AllState Arena and United Center! He’s also performed on the Red Carpet at the Thanksgiving Day Parade! Now see his BRAND NEW show this summer, as he performs with his daughter ANNALIESE NOCK, and others, at the Palace Theater in Wisconsin Dells! Spacious venue offering a variety of musicals & classic shows with dinner service & drinks. For tickets, call 608 253 – 4000, or visit www.dellspalace.com today!”
Fairs & Festivals…
(Updated for this week…8/19 to 8/25.)
Upcoming Fairs & Festivals
- Windmill City Festival – August 27-29. 18 Live Bands on TWO Stages! Family Fun & Traditions Galore: Craft & Vintage Market, Golf Challenge, Firehose Challenge, Pet Competition, Children’s Activities, Games, Food & More! Batavia Riverwalk. www.WindMillCityFest.org
- Alley Art Festival – August 28. Enjoy local art from over 40 artists! Family-friendly activities and live music all afternoon. Outdoors on Water Street Mall and the Fox River Walk. Art, music, and spectacle for all ages. Downtown Aurora. www.Auroradowntown.org
- PrairieFest – September 3 – 6. Children’s activities, concerts, carnival rides, pony rides, business expo, and food vendors. Free admission & free parking. As seen on Food Network! Oswego. 630.554.1010. www.prairiefest.com
(Updated for this week…8/19 to 8/25)
THURSDAY, AUGUST 19
- FAMILY Naper Settlement –Explore the exteriors of historic buildings while enjoying a variety of interactive tours. Tues. – Sat.: 10 AM – 4 PM. Sun.: 1 – 4 PM. Naperville. napersettlement.org.
- SHOP Summer Street Market – Featuring over 60 vendors of fresh fruits, vegetables, decorative objects and more! Family-friendly activities, food and live music. Thursdays thru 8/26. 4:00 – 9:00 PM. Promenade Bolingbrook. shoppingpromenade.com/events.
- SHOP Market in the Park – Featuring a variety of vendors including specialty food, food trucks, flowers, handmade crafts and vintage décor. 4 – 8 PM. Thursday thru Aug. 19. Crescent Park Train Station, Orland Park. orlandpark.org/events/market.
- SHOW Westmont Cruisin’ Nights –Thursdays. 5 – 9 PM. Downtown Westmont. westmontevents.com
- SPORT Rosemont’s Chicago Dogs – Season-long daily specials for home baseball games at Impact Field in Rosemont. For more information TheChicagoDogs.com.
- SPORT Kane County Cougars – Family-friendly fun at Northwestern Medicine Field in Geneva with theme nights, post-game fireworks at select games and more! For more information visit kccougars.com.
- SPORT Schaumburg Boomers – Be part of the family friendly fun at Wintrust Field in Schaumburg with activities before, during and after homestand games! For more information visit boomersbaseball.com.
- TOUR Frank Lloyd Wright – Combine a guided tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio with an outdoor self-guided walking tour. Oak Park. For dates and times. flwright.org.
- CONCERT Music in the Park – Free concert with the band The Chicago Experience. 7 – 9pm. Sunshine Park, 220 Sunrise Ave., Willowbrook. Tri-State Park District. www.tri-stateparkdistrict.kk5.org/
FRIDAY, AUGUST 20
- CONCERTS Summer Entertainment Series – Fridays and Saturdays; 6 – 9:30 PM. Memorial Park Bandshell, Wheaton. wheatonparkdistrict.com.
- EXHIBIT Savage Gardens – Explore the captivating world of carnivorous plants! 6/26 – 11/7. Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, Rockford. nicholasconservatory.com/savagegardens.
- SHOP Elgin Farmers Market – Fridays thru Oct. 3 – 7 PM. Spring Street, Elgin. Downtownelgin.com.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 21
- FAMILY Drive-In Movie Night – Shrek. Orland Park Health and Fitness Center Parking Lot. Begins at dusk. Register. orlandpark.org/events/drive_in_movie_nights.
- FAMILY-Health Expo– Noon – 4 PM. Free. Citizens Park, Barrington. barringtonchamber.com.
- CONCERTS Summer Entertainment Series – Fridays and Saturdays; 6 – 9:30 PM. Memorial Park Bandshell, Wheaton. wheatonparkdistrict.com.
- EXHIBIT To the Moon: Snoopy Soars with NASA – Learn about the role the Peanuts characters played in NASA’s Manned Flight Awareness safety program. Thru Aug. 29. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. Reservations: elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Par Excellence Redux – New fully playable artistic mini-golf course designed by artists and architects from the Midwest. Opens July 7. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. Reservations: elmhursthistory.org.
- EXHIBIT Hello Helios – New outdoor art exhibit: The warming Suns of Chicago’s Greektown. Open thru Spring 2022. Halsted Street from Monroe to Van Buren Streets, Chicago. greektownchicago.org
- EXHIBIT “Our Voice is Black History: Past, Present, Future,” – Opens 7/ 3 thru Oct.24. Dunn Museum. Libertyville. LCFPD.org/MuseumTickets.
- EXHIBIT World of Carnivorous Plants – Large versions of various meat-eating plants, two of which are interactive, and fun for all ages. Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens. Rockford. nicholasconservatory.com.
- EXHIBIT Judy Istock Butterfly Haven – Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. Re-opening date: July 8th. Chicago. naturemuseum.org.
- FAMILY History Workshops – A one-hour time slot for families to learn about various objectives. Elmhurst History Museum, Elmhurst. For schedule and to register: elmhursthistory.org.
- SHOW Bluesmobile Cruise Nights –Saturdays 3-9 PM. Emerson St. and Northwest Hwy., Mt. Prospect. mplions.org.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 22
- FAMILY Concours d’Elegance – Classic car enthusiasts will view a collection of antique, classic and modern automobiles from 10 AM – 4 PM. Third Street, Geneva. genevaconcours.net.
- CONCERTS Summer Concert Series – Sundays; 3 – 5 PM. Cantigny bandshell, Wheaton. Cantigny.org.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 24
- SHOW Cruise Nights – Tuesdays. 5 – 8 PM. Cantigny Park, Wheaton. Full details at Cantigny.org
WEDESDAY, AUGUST 25
- CONCERTS Summer Series– Hillbilly Rockstarz, Country cover band. 7 – 8:30 PM. Bring your chairs, blankets, and dancing shoes for a rockin’ night out with your family! Hoosier Grove Park, Streamwood. streamwoodparks.org.
- FAMILY Butterfield Neighborhood Gatherings – Gathering out on our lawn to get know our neighbors. Wednesdays. Featuring food trucks, music and more thru Sept. 29. 4:30–7:30 PM. Christ Church Butterfield Campus2S361 Glen Park Road, Lombard. christchurch.us/neighbor.
- SHOP Evening Gourmet Market – Wednesdays July 7 thru Sept. 22nd. 4:30 – 9:30 PM. Highwood. celebratehighwood.org.
- SHOW Lemont Legends Cruise Nights – Wednesdays 6 – 9PM. Historic downtown Lemont. Lemont. lemontchamber.com
- Make Summertime Learning Fun
- Summer Entertaining Tips
- Parents Coaching the Coach
- Senior Resources
- Otter Cove Aquatic Park
- DuPage Golf tips
- Dining Out
THIS WEEK’S FEATURED SPONSORS